none
restoring a VHDX RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm running DPM 2012SP1 on a Server 2008R2 virtual machine, 2008R2 host. All updates installed.

One of the backed-up servers (a 2008R2 virtual machine) has a 3 TB volume, hosted on a Server 2012 server as a VHDX file.

The backups seem to run fine. However, it seems that incremental backups aren't reliable. I had to restore the VHDX, there were'nt any error messages, but obviously the backup isn't up to date and seems to go back to the first full backup three weeks ago.

Is this normal? Is Server 2012 required to perform backups of VHDX files? I know Server 2008R2 can't mount them, but this seems to be another issue.

Kind regards

Denis

Denis Gillet

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is not normal, and you do not need to have DPM running on a Windows 2012 server to protect VM's using .vhdx files.

Is this 100% reproducible ?  IE: If you add a file to the 3TB volume, create a new recovery point from DPM, then restore that .VHDX file on a Windows 2012 server and mount it is disk management, does the new file exist ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 14, 2013 10:24 PM