none
Can I use a SQL Alias for the DPM Database (DPMDB) Connection? RRS feed

• Question

• When installing DPM 2010 using a Remote SQL Instance, can I point to the instance using a SQL Alias to that it is easier to 'move' the DPMDB later if I need to?

Thanks!

string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:44 PM

All replies

• Anyone?
    string fakeEmail="jim.duncan@sharesquared.spam.com"; string realEmail=fakeEmail.Replace(".spam","")
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:24 AM
  • When installing DPM 2010 using a Remote SQL Instance, can I point to the instance using a SQL Alias to that it is easier to 'move' the DPMDB later if I need to?

Thanks!

Hi Jim,

I have not installed a DPM database using a SQL Alias but I do not see why this would not work. I know it is used in SharePoint deployments all the time. The SQL alias is basically a pointer like a DNS host record and should work. DPM will not care that it is connecting via an alias as long as it can get to the database.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

I tried that and it did not work for me. Maybe I did something wrong but I didn't get it to work. I assumed that it doesn't work just like you are not able to use SQL cluster for SCDPM-DB even though you are able to backup SQL cluster. Maybe I am wrong and I gave up too fast. I will try it out one more time.

Monday, August 1, 2011 9:41 AM