none
Exchange 2007 Lots of White Space but Still Losing Disk Space RRS feed

• Question

• I have two Exchange 2007 SP3 RU3 servers each server has two databases and each database is around 100GB, each database has around 50% white space, but for some reason I still keep losing space on the disk the databases are on.  The only thing on the disk with them are the search indexes.  My question is why do I keep losing space on the disks if I have so much white space?  What is continually eating up the free space?

Thanks

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:19 PM

Answers

• We'll I've been keeping an eye on the servers over the last couple of days and the databases are not growing in size, which is what I was hoping (since there is so much whitespace), but thought they were growing.  As it turns out, it's the search index (for each DB) that keeps growing and this is what is consuming space every day.  I'm going to continue to monitor is and I'll see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

• Marked as answer by Bemho Monday, December 12, 2011 8:34 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• Is the physical size of the database increasing?

The usual reason for loss of space without files increasing is shadow copies.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Download and install Treesize application on your server. Everytime your disks goes low on space run treesize and it will help you find out which file/folder is occupying largest space. you can troubleshoot this issue accordingly.

If you wish to reclaim the whitespace in the db then you will have to perform offline defrag of your exchange db's

Sudhir Bidye.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi Bemho,

I hope you are familiar with white space and free space. If you want to decrease the database size you need to convert the white space to free space by doing offline defragmentation. One more thing are you performing any move mailbox operations on the database? If so it will generate some log files. Try to do offline defragmentation.

Go through the following link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998863(EXCHG.80).aspx

Kishore Bitra
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:03 AM
  • I don't know why people are recommending an offline defrag.
    Not only is this not risk free, and involves extensive period of downtime it is also completely unnecessary.

With only two databases in use, you have additional databases available. Therefore the best way forward is to move all content to a new database and drop the original. Zero downtime, zero risk.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:14 AM
  • On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:14:03 +0000, Sembee wrote:

>I don't know why people are recommending an offline defrag. Not only is this not risk free, and involves extensive period of downtime it is also completely unnecessary.

It's what I learned in 1996! ;-)

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:29 PM
  • We'll I've been keeping an eye on the servers over the last couple of days and the databases are not growing in size, which is what I was hoping (since there is so much whitespace), but thought they were growing.  As it turns out, it's the search index (for each DB) that keeps growing and this is what is consuming space every day.  I'm going to continue to monitor is and I'll see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

• Marked as answer by Bemho Monday, December 12, 2011 8:34 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:34 PM