Getting error message after starting P2V process. RRS feed

• Question

• Error (2912)

Detailed Error (Unknown error (0x80072f06))

An internal error has occurred trying to contact an agent on the FCIVSServer1.Federico.local server.

I have tried rebooting both machines and still get this.
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 8:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• hi there,

this error message suggests that something is wrong with your certificates. Can you check that the source machine, the host machine, and the VMM server all have updated and correctly functioning certificates? (it might be a self-signed certificate that is causing this or an SSL certificate)

Monday, May 5, 2008 10:42 PM
  • I shutdown IIS and it worked.  It made file but then it errored out again with a different error.  This was after job ran for over a hour making image of server.

Error (3101)

Detailed Error (Internal error code: 0x80990C1D)

VMM failed to mount VHD file F:\VM's\FCISERVER2\FCISERVER2\C_2008-05-04T200358.vhd on the FCIVSServer1.Federico.local server. A timeout occurred.

Recommended Action

Ensure that Microsoft Virtual Server Storage Bus is installed and functional. Restart Virtual Disk Service, and then try the operation again.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:50 PM
  • what version of vmm are u on?

what virtualziation platform is on the destination host & of what version?

is the destination host clustered?

in case of a VS on the host, ensure that VHDMount component is installed, sometimes it requires the reboot of a host.

try restarting the failed job.

Friday, May 9, 2008 5:29 AM
  • Looks like this thread died, so I'll get it going again...

I'm having the exact same problem. SCVMM on a Win2003 SP2 server trying to convert a vmware image. I get the exact same error. I've rebooted the virtual server and still get the same error. I've also tried to convert the vm and chose a different host, and still get the same error.

All servers are running VS SP1.

Any suggestions?
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:57 PM
  •  

what version of vmm are u on?

what OS is on the destination host?

is the destination host clustered?

can you mount any vhd on the host using vhdmount.exe tool?

did you try restarting the failed job?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:25 AM
  • I tried re running job again and it worked.  I started the whole job over again and I got the same error.  I then tried restarting the job and it finished.  I also found this in the event log

The application, C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2007\bin\vmmAgent.exe, generated an application error
    The error occurred on 05/10/2008 @ 21:34:00.066
    The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00000000011A0C18 (vmmAgent)

This must be why it failed.  Restarting the job allowed it to run and I have sucessfully converted my older hp proliant server to a virtual server.  I tried many times.  I disabled all non microsoft services before doing this the last two times.  I then went and removed all the original hp management software.. So far looks good.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Hi Jim,

Can you please provide Natalia the information she requested so we can help isolate/troubleshoot the issue?

Cheers!

-b

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:04 AM
  •  

I think there's only one version of VMM, so it's 2007.

The OS on the destination server is 2003 SP2 running VS SP1

No clustering

I believe I can mount it via vhdmount. I've tried and it appears to work, though I'm not exactly sure what to do afterwards.

I've retried the job several times, and I've also rebooted every server involved, both to no avail.

Monday, May 12, 2008 1:13 PM
  • BTW, here's the error from the SCVMM console:

Error (3101)

VMM failed to mount VHD file S:\Virtual Server\MOSSAGON\MOSSAGON-000001.vhd on the torus.ateam.com server. A timeout occurred.

Recommended Action

Ensure that Microsoft Virtual Server Storage Bus is installed and functional. Restart Virtual Disk Service, and then try the operation again.

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:41 PM
  • can you open up devmgmt.msc on on the server where the VHD is lcoated and see if the virtual server storage bus driver is malfunctioning?

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Sure, I open up device manager and I see the storage bus under "system devices". There's just a regular icon, so nothing there seems to be off.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Also, I noticed the title of the thread refers to P2V, where I'm obviously trying to do V2V. Anyway, a few more items of note:

WHen I start this process, it always copies the VHD just fine to the destination server. On the SCVMM server, the job status hangs at 60% with this in the details field:

1.4 Make operating system virtualizable Not started 0 % 

On the destination server, these events are logged when the job is started:

Opened \??\E:\Virtual Server\Virtual Machines\MOSSAGON-2\MOSSAGON-000001.vhd successfully.

and

Status 0x00001069 determining that device interface \\?\{CB107E6E-5323-489e-AD3C-907943A99D83}#VDisk#1&36444bd7&0&02#{2accfe60-c130-11d2-b082-00a0c91efb8b} does not support iSCSI WMI interfaces. If this device is not an iSCSI HBA then this error can be ignored. 

Everything hangs for a 5 minutes or so, then the SCVMM server reports:

VMM failed to mount VHD file E:\Virtual Server\Virtual Machines\MOSSAGON-2\MOSSAGON-000001.vhd on the rotor.ateam.com server. A timeout occurred.

Recommended Action

When I check the destination server, the VDS service is running and there are no errors in the event log. Checking the Virtual Server log on that server shows the last entry as:

The setting "virtual_machines/hw_assist/enable_hw_assist" for the virtual machine configuration "MOSSAGON" was changed from (no value) to false

So, it looks like it starts the process and then maybe finds something it doesn't like in the VHD which causes it to hang? I'm really at a loss here and have tried rebooting every piece involved numerous times...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:56 PM
  •  

you are on the Virtual Server, right?

can you

0) run dbgview\dbmon\tracelog

1) open cmd window

2) set VHD_MOUNT_TRACE=1

3) use "vhdmount.exe /m vhd_file" to mount any vhd in question (or any other vhd)

an pass the info collected by the trace listener tool to the Moderator of this DL?

also, does the restart of the failed task work?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:15 PM
  • OK, I ran dbgview and mounted the VHD, here's the output:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Server\Vhdmount>vhdmount.exe /m "S:\Virtual S
    erver\MOSSAGON\mossagon-000001.vhd"
    [Info] Default user locale is 0x409
    [Warning] Dictionary VhdMountStrings.dll doesn't exist.

The specified Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) is being plugged in using the default Undo
     Disk option. Use /c to commit or /d to discard the changes to the mounted disk.

[Info] MountVHD called for VHD: C:\DOCUME~1\test\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\mossagon-000
    001663126245.vhd
    [Info] Verifying file: \\?\C:\DOCUME~1\plenges\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\mossagon-00000166
    3126245.vhd
    [Info] Virtual disk creation was successful. It might take a few minutes before
    the disk is detected by device manager and mounted. Please wait.
    [Info] GetSCSIAddress called for VHD: C:\DOCUME~1\test\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\mossag
    on-000001663126245.vhd
    [Info] Verifying file: \\?\C:\DOCUME~1\test\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\mossagon-00000166
    3126245.vhd
    [Info] Found the child of given PDO at : \Device\00000085
    [Info] Device name is: \Device\00000085
    [Info] SCSI address: Port3Path0Target0Lun0

[Info] The disk is plugged in. Please wait for the disk to be online.
    [Info] GetSCSIAddress called for VHD: C:\DOCUME~1\test\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\mossag
    on-000001663126245.vhd
    [Info] Verifying file: \\?\C:\DOCUME~1\plenges\LOCALS~1\test\1\mossagon-00000166
    3126245.vhd
    [Info] Found the child of given PDO at : \Device\00000085
    [Info] Device name is: \Device\00000085
    [Info] SCSI address: Port3Path0Target0Lun0
    [Info] The disk C:\DOCUME~1\test\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\mossagon-000001663126245.vhd
     is online.
    [Info] The disk is uninitialized. Volumes will not to be mounted.

The Virtual Hard Disk is successfully plugged in as a virtual disk device. Howev
    er, the disk is uninitialized. Use Disk Manager to initialize the disk and creat
    e volumes on it.
    [Info] VHDMount successful.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Server\Vhdmount>

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:22 AM
  •  

the tools says that the vhd mossagon-000001663126245.vhd is empty (I assume this is not the vhd created by p2v process, correct?). But this experiment proves that the VHDMount driver works fine.

1) what happens if you restart the failed p2v job?

2) if it fails again at the same spot we need the traces to investigate the failure further

(

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8719b7b6-89ac-499c-b14b-fecf35b559f8&DisplayLang=en

or

http://blogs.technet.com/chengw/default.aspx 

posts have instructions

)

Traces can be sent to the Moderator of this newsgroup.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:56 AM
  • Does this error ring any bells? Is your disk inside the VHD initialized and has an OS in it?

<<

However, the disk is uninitialized. Use Disk Manager to initialize the disk and create volumes on it.

>>

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:33 AM
  • While doing P2V, it get BITS error from SCVMM that it cant connect the machine i am trying to import and the temporary server. It stops at process 1.3 copying hard disk. and the summary gives error 2940, unknown error 0x80072efd.

machines are pingable

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer. Connection to BITS on the actual machine (which i want to iimport) could not be established.

BITS and volume shadow copy is running on all servers.

recommended acton says

Ensure BITs and agent on the temporary server (Which mounts SCVMM) are installed and running and there is no firewall blocking HTTPS.

There is no firewall. The situation is kinda urgent am waiting for your reply.

Thanks

V

Monday, November 24, 2008 2:12 PM