none
OOTB settings demote list items ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Something I came across today while trying to fine tune the search algorithms at one of my clients.

The OOTB search algorithm is pushing down results recalled from list items, demoting it by 4000 points.

I asked some of our project managers, and none of them suggested that in any case/project they worked on, an information stored in a list item is less relevant than any other document.

The specific question was: If I'll take a word document, select all of its contents and copy-paste it to a list item, are the two equivalent? The answer was: their importance is equal. As for my clients, they are mostly using SharePoint lists to save information.

There for, I can't figure out why would Microsoft push down list items.

I removed this boost, and voila! My result were much more relevant than before.

For information about managed property boosts:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff191224

Your thoughts?

Amir

Sunday, September 2, 2012 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For most of my projects documents are more important than list items, as lists are generally used in other settings. But this can of course vary and adjusting it to suit the business needs is something we always have to do.

Did you also remove the -4000 for excel documents?

I usually also add negative points or filter out completely all sites from the main results, and provide a side search for sites instead. This seems to work pretty good, and aligns with doing "blended search". It seldom good practice to show apples and oranges in the same hit list, but use UI tricks to present the result in a good way.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Author of Working with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint

Monday, September 3, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi Mikael,

I did notice it, but I also think that it's true to demote excel documents.

The "algorithmic" sense says that it's mostly structured, so if you "hit" on a word, its either in a single cell or repeated across many lines. 

Also, it makes a "business" sense to me due to the use of spreadsheets, which I believe stores a less relevant information than other types of documents, but of course that's per case/project issue.

Amir

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:51 AM