Add Printer Wizard: Printer List RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have questions about the printer list presented when using the Add Printer Wizard.  Our machines are installed in a domain and are using network printers.  Accessing the Add Printer Wizard works with no problem, but the list of printers presented is limited 20 entries.  The user can find all our network printers by selecting "The printer I want isn't listed" and then selecting "Find printer in the directory based on location or feature".

The initial list is likely to cause confusion to our end users, in in early piloting of my new W7 desktop I've already had feedback on this.  I'm wondering how the list is populated and if it is configurable?  Can this list be populated based on site or other attributes?  Can this initial list be by-passed altogether and the directory search be the first thing they see?

Thanks.

James.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:49 AM

Answers

• Hi, jsc.19:

You can customize the number of printers displayed or even disable the Network Scan page using Group Policy:

1. Click Start, search for gpedit.msc and press ENTER.
    2. Browse to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers.
    3. Double click Add Printer wizard - Network scan page (Managed network).

From the description of that policy setting:

"If this setting is disabled, the network scan page will not be displayed.

If this setting is not configured, the Add Printer wizard will display the default number of printers of each type:
    Directory printers: 20
    TCP/IP printers: 0
    Web Services printers: 0
    Bluetooth printers: 10
    Shared printers: 0

If you would like to not display printers of a certain type, enable this policy and set the number of printers to display to 0."

Hope this helps.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:48 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi, jsc.19:

You can customize the number of printers displayed or even disable the Network Scan page using Group Policy:

1. Click Start, search for gpedit.msc and press ENTER.
    2. Browse to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers.
    3. Double click Add Printer wizard - Network scan page (Managed network).

From the description of that policy setting:

"If this setting is disabled, the network scan page will not be displayed.

If this setting is not configured, the Add Printer wizard will display the default number of printers of each type:
    Directory printers: 20
    TCP/IP printers: 0
    Web Services printers: 0
    Bluetooth printers: 10
    Shared printers: 0

If you would like to not display printers of a certain type, enable this policy and set the number of printers to display to 0."

Hope this helps.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:48 AM
    Answerer
  • Daniel

Wow.  Thanks.  I've looked and looked for a policy to control this behaviour and somehow have overlooked this one time and again.  I must say I feel a bit silly. 

This is definately the answer.  Appreciate the response.

Cheers.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:37 AM