What are parameters? RRS feed

• Question

• What are parameters please and what would a command to 'change parameters' do?

I have Googled this, but cannot find the answer.

Monday, July 9, 2012 5:34 PM

Answers

• Parameters (or arguments) are additional informations passed to a program before starting its execution and that the program needs (or could need) to work fine: for example, you can open a text file in Notepad by opening a command prompt window and running the following command

notepad MyFile.txt

This will make Notepad open and load the file named MyFile.txt; "MyFile.txt" is a parameter passed to the command (notepad) used to execute the program.
    A program can have no parameter, one parameter or more, according to what the program's developer decided when the program was built.

Changing parameter is a technique used by some scripting environments (like UNIX or DOS shells) that manipulate the parameters passed to a program by operating some kind of substitution according to what they have to do.
    This is a general definition, of course; if you need a more accurate one, please provide more detiled informations about thwa you're trying to do.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:37 PM

All replies

• Parameters (or arguments) are additional informations passed to a program before starting its execution and that the program needs (or could need) to work fine: for example, you can open a text file in Notepad by opening a command prompt window and running the following command

notepad MyFile.txt

This will make Notepad open and load the file named MyFile.txt; "MyFile.txt" is a parameter passed to the command (notepad) used to execute the program.
    A program can have no parameter, one parameter or more, according to what the program's developer decided when the program was built.

Changing parameter is a technique used by some scripting environments (like UNIX or DOS shells) that manipulate the parameters passed to a program by operating some kind of substitution according to what they have to do.
    This is a general definition, of course; if you need a more accurate one, please provide more detiled informations about thwa you're trying to do.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Thank you for helping me.

I was recently advised by my security software Malware Remover to run a number of scans after receiving 'Trojan Horse Blocked' / 'Malicious URL' alerts whenever I went to my / some of my friends MySpace profiles. He asked me to check 'change parameters' on one of them and input a few commands (but my system immediately crashed with 'killing processes' and we were not able to complete the operation)....when I asked afterwards what this had done, he only said that no changes had been made to my system. All the scans showed clear....it was the pages themselves that were infected not my computer, however, I have had a number of BSODs since (never had them before)....I now know of one definite external cause, but I'm just trying to rule out any other possible contributing factors and ascertain whether I need to make any changes to my computer....plus I have a very curious mind. :)

Monday, July 9, 2012 10:38 PM