Issue upgrading from Vista Home to Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My computer is currently running Vista Home Premium (x32). I decided I want to upgrade to Vista Ultimate and went out and purchased the 32-bit Upgrade version with SP1. When I pop in the disc and try to upgrade I get the "Install Windows" with two options: Upgrade and Customize. However for some reason I can't select the upgrade option (it's blocked out) and at the bottom of the screen I det this message:

"The upgrade cannot be started. To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are currently running."

Last I check Vista Ultimate > Vista Home. So any idea on how to fix this issue?

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:19 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Have you installed Windows Vista Service Pack 1 on Windows Vista Home Premium? If not, please install it first.

To upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium RTM to Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, we need to upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 first and then upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:28 AM

All replies

• Are you booted into Windows Vista Home Premium and at the desktop when you insert the Vista Ultimate disc in the DVD drive?

• Proposed as answer by Bill Donald Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:13 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 9:21 PM
  •  

Hi,

Have you installed Windows Vista Service Pack 1 on Windows Vista Home Premium? If not, please install it first.

To upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium RTM to Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, we need to upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 first and then upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:28 AM
  • Hi TIm,

I have the same problem. I am running Vista Home Premium (64 bit) with SP-1 installed. I am trying to upgrade to Ultimate. I get exactly the same error message.

Doug
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:58 PM
  • OK - I found the problem - at least for me. If you have installed SP-1 and the disc that contains Ultimate does not contain this upgrade, you cannot upgrade your computer until you a) get a disc that has the SP-1 files, or b) remove SP-1 from your existing installation.

I have found that the latter option is a pain in the $%^&&*. None of the solution offered by the KB article work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537/

Sigh,

Doug
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:12 PM