none
Saving PDF to a DFS share with app in Windows 8.1 folders not visable. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When I want to save a pdf via the app from Windows 8.1,you can choose a DFS network share mounted as drive letter but the folders are not visible below. When I connect the driveletter as an unc path directly to the server, you can see'em.

Because we work with DFS shares this is quite an issue.

Is there a solution for this?

Greetings, JFTE.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hello,

After some Windows updates everything works fine.

Greetings JFTE.

JFTE

• Marked as answer by JFTE Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which App are you using to save PDF to a DFS share? Reader App?

Other files and folders in the network share and local drive shows up in the app?

I suggest you check the hidden attribute of this folder, if a folder is hidden, then you can still see it with the unc path (if you’ve checked “Hidden items” in “View” in Windows explorer), but when you search through the app (such as Reader app), this folder is invisible.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Hello,

I open the PDF in Windows 8.1 builtin reader.

I then try to save them to a drivemapping to a dfs share. It shows no folders when I select the drive letter in the "save as" pane.

When I open the drive in the explorer I can see the folders.

When I connect a letter direct to the share on the server with the UNC path it is visible.

I have the View options in explorer all unchecked to see also hidden items.

Regards JFTE

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

When did you find this issue? 

Please try running the Apps troubleshooter, does it make any diffference?

and test this issue with another account.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Hello,

I ran into this issue 3 weeks ago. At the moment we are using Windows 7 in our Compagnie with 1000 workstations. With Windows 7 the DFS shares work fine. We planned to swich to Windows 8.1 in Q1 of next year. To test this in our environment of a w2008 r2 domain we enrolled 3 laptops for this purpose. The issue with the pdf app appears on all the 3 laptops with 3 different user accounts.

We have 2 issues. The first is that we can´t use remote assistance in Windows Intune Center. I already know about this that this is in development.

The second issue is the one in this thread with the pdf app. To run the apps troubleshooter you need a microsoft account. We use only domain accounts, so I can´t run the troubleshooter.

Greetings, JFTE

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

The issue only occurred in network shared folder, other local folders work fine?

I also suggest you reinstall the Reader App or try other pdf readers, check if this issue persist.

And does this issue exist in a local account? What is the result if we leave the domain?

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

Monday, November 25, 2013 6:54 AM
  • Hello,

The issue occurs when you try to save it to a dfs share. When you connect to the unc path direct to the server it works fine.

I reinstalled the app but it does't work also. When I use a local account or leave the domain I will not be able to approach the dfs share.

Greetings, JFTE 

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried other Apps instead of Reader App? What is the result?

And Please also run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component corruption, restart the PC afterwards, check if it can make any difference.

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

Thursday, November 28, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Hello,

I tested it with the video, music and foto app. The also don´t see the folders in the dfs share.

Reparing with DISM succeeded succesfull but it also did not work after it.

Can it have something to do with trusting of the share?

Greetings, JFTE

Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Take a look of this blog, hope it can help you.

Why can’t I see all files in a Shared folder?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2008/10/07/why-can-t-i-see-all-files-in-a-shared-folder.aspx

Regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the information. Unfortunatly it doesn't affect our environment. We have full acces for the share right to the folders and limit this with the appropiate right on ntfs level.

When you open the explorer users can brouwse the dfs share and see the folders, but not via the apps when they want to save a file.

Greetings JFTE.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried other Apps instead of Reader App? What is the result?

And Please also run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component corruption, restart the PC afterwards, check if it can make any difference.

Regards,

Yolanda

Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Hello,

I already tried that without result. See my previous post:

Hello,

I tested it with the video, music and foto app. The also don´t see the folders in the dfs share.

Reparing with DISM succeeded succesfull but it also did not work after it.

Can it have something to do with trusting of the share?

Greetings, JFTE

What I will do this weekend is to create an DFS share in the test environment on a windows 2012 server and domain. In production where we have the issue we user Windows 2008r2. Maybe it has something to do with the SMB version. I'll inform you after the weekend.

Greetings JFTE

• Edited by JFTE Friday, December 6, 2013 2:43 PM
    Friday, December 6, 2013 11:15 AM
  • Hello,

I made a dfs share on a Windows 2012 server...  same problem. Folders don't show up. I found some threads on  expert-exchange with the same problem. This discussions all end with that they will do a bug report about this.

Greetings JFTE.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Hello,

After some Windows updates everything works fine.

Greetings JFTE.

JFTE

• Marked as answer by JFTE Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:33 AM