2008 1720 DELL Inspiron Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• PLEASE.  HELP  ME.   MY COMPUTER CONTINUES TO  "SHUT  DOWN"  EVERY 20 MINUTES.  I  DO  NOT  KNOW  WHY,  OR  WHAT  IS  HAPPENING.  . . . . . . . .  I AM UNEMPLOYED AND IN DESPERATE NEED OF APPLYING FOR DIFFERENT JOBS(!), ...but cannot complete ANYTHING in 20 minutes' time.   PLEASE  ANSWER  ME  SOON  -  WITH  THE  BEST  SOLUTION  TO MY PROBLEM......  My battery is charging, with 97% full.           *"THANK  YOU"!*
    Friday, September 25, 2015 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Nikki Nelson,
    When did the issue start to occur? Have you made any modifications to the machine before?

First of all, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates.
    We could perform a full scan in safe mode with the antivirus software.
    If the issue occurred recently, we could perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point.

Please check the Event Viewer for more information to troubleshoot this issue.
    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application, System

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 2, 2015 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I will move this to the appropriate forum to get more effictive help.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 28, 2015 3:08 AM
  • Are there any errors when it "shuts down?"

Blue Screen? Error code? Anything?

We can't help you unless you provide enough details.

Monday, September 28, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Hi Nikki Nelson,
    When did the issue start to occur? Have you made any modifications to the machine before?

First of all, please ensure the machine has got the latest updates.
    We could perform a full scan in safe mode with the antivirus software.
    If the issue occurred recently, we could perform a system restore to recover the machine to a previous normal point.

Please check the Event Viewer for more information to troubleshoot this issue.
    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application, System

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 2, 2015 9:27 AM
  • Please read this wiki to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, October 2, 2015 11:14 AM
  • one cause of unintended shutdown is overheating of the CPU... there is a safety mechanism that shuts down the computer so that it will not completely toast the CPU if the cooling is not sufficient... usually dust has plugged up the cooling fins that dissipate the heat or the fan has quit... the dust issue usually requires a blast of canned air or a dis-assembly to clean it out... the broken fan requires replacement... my suggestion is to let it cool, start it back up and see if the fan works and see how hot the air is (and how strong the air flow is) coming out of the vents...Hope this would resolve your issue. If again the same issue occurs then try another fixes from Dell Inspiron 1720 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-inspiron-1720-manual&po=344168&lang=English
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:58 AM