How do you set Pinned Programs for all users Windows Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the recommended method for adding shortcuts to "Pinned Programs" for all users in Windows Vista?

-thanks

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:15 PM

All replies

• Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279767/en-us

A program (.exe file) or a shortcut to a program can be "pinned" to the Start menu by right-clicking the item and clicking Pin to Start Menu. Any other item can be added to the pinned list by dragging and dropping it to the Start button or the Start menu. An item can be removed from this list by right-clicking it and clicking Unpin from Start Menu or Remove from This List. The order of the items in this list can be arranged by dragging and dropping them to the preferred position.

NOTE: If the program or shortcut that was pinned to the Start menu is moved or deleted, the link to it on the Start menu will no longer work.

To configure the settings for the Programs list, follow these steps:

1. Right-click an empty area in the Start menu and select Properties.
    2. Click Customize.
    3. Configuration options for the Programs list are on the General tab.
    The right side of the Start menu displays links to special folders (My Documents, My Pictures, My Music) and system areas (My Computer, Search, Control Panel). To configure this area, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click an empty area in the Start menu and click Properties.
    2. Click Customize.
    3. Configuration options for the right side of the Start menu are on the Advanced tab.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:05 PM
  • sorry but if I well understood he asked how to pin some item to ALL users, not the current user profile

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 2:32 AM
  • flay:  what version of Vista?

Friday, July 4, 2008 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Throw in a shortcut to your application at c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu where c: is your system drive.

It should be available to all users.

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:54 AM
  • Please mark as answer if the suggestions you found here solved your problem

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:33 PM
  • There seems to be a misunderstanding of the terms:
    • "pinning" a program in the Start Menu means it appears on top of the "recently used applications". That was the original question, if I understand correctly.
    • putting a program into the Start Menu folder, for individual users or into that of pseudo user "All Users", has the effect that the program appears on top of the "All programs" list, which is a popup menu that can be reached from the actual Start Menu.
    Nobody who knows where the "pinned programs" information is stored in Windows?
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I haven't found a way to "Pin a program" to an All users portion of that menu however using the below link you could do some work with a login script, run once script, or by modifying the default user profile (if it's a freshly imaged machine).  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx.

It appears the pinning feature is stored in a binary key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Startpage\Favorites, similar to the Task Panel\Quicklaunch.

Another option if you use Group Policy is to check out the Group Policy Preference Extension.  While it will not allow you to pin icons it can add shortcuts to the start menu and a whole lot of other goodness.  This feature does work with Windows XP as well as Windows Vista (DOES NOT REQUIRE a 2008 server) and can almost replace the need for login scripts.  The downside is deploying the GPPE update to your domain computers.  The upside is it stores the prefences in xml files on your domain controllers under the sysvol share (same place as the group policies). 
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:18 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

The purpose for pinning certain programs, is for creating a custom image.  At that point the client can add or remove programs as he/she needs.

Group Policy would not apply in this instance.

-thanks

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:37 PM