Hyper-V Virtual Hard Disk Question... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm setting up a virtual windows 7 environment via Hyper-V so that staff at work can log in at home and access their work files. However there are a couple of things I wanted to check first:

• I would prefer to create a small hard disk which everyone would connect to and use, but say for example I set a 25GB VHD, would that create 25GB for each person? As this is NOT what I want, I would like it so that the VHD is 25GB fixed so in hindsight, if we had 100 people it would just connect to 1 VHD.
      • Can I set administrative options within the VHD such as a fixed desktop whereby no user could save to the desktop or take up the 25GB C: drive space?
      • Is there any possibility that if a user makes changes to their account (such as changing their password) can I get that to replicate on our domain controller at work?

Thank You

Ashley

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:37 AM

All replies

• You should look at Terminal Services/Remote desktop instead.

Hyper-V doesn't remove any restrictions from a Windows client OS.  Windows 7 only allows a single user to log in at a time.  If you want more than 1 person to log in from home, you'd need multiple Windows 7 VMs with their own VHD, one for each concurrent user.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Thank You,

What I've now done is (taken your advice) and installed Terminal Services with web access for all staff to connect to one virtual machine. I'm now in the process of trying to create a scenario whereby everyone will have the same fixed desktop and not be allowed to make any changes. Would you know much about that?

Thanks

Ash

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Not enough to help you in depth.  Sorry.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 5:14 PM