none
Group Policy refresh dropping manually mounted map drives in Windows 10

Question

• I recently upgraded to Windows 10, but I starting noticing a problem with my manually mounted network shares dropping.   My network shares that are mounted via Group Policy or my network share listed in AD "Home Folder" don't seem to be affected.

I noticed that when it happened, there was a Group Policy Refresh occurring around the same time and I started reading on the web, other people having a similar problem, but none seem to mention manually mounted shares only shares within GP.   If I run a manual 'gpupdate' the shares get disconnected. 

The manually mounted shares' drive letters are not in use within GP, so there is not conflict and I've even tried to enable 'Persistent' to see if it would stick, but it didn't.

This happens regardless of if the share is active or idle.   I was running an application within the drive and it about 10m into the job, it failed because the share was no longer mounted.

Any Ideas?

Monday, February 15, 2016 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Based on my understanding, the issue only happened on the specific operating system.

I would suggest that you could register your questions using Windows Feedback on the windows10 and please post your questions in the following forum:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Have you succeeded to re-connect it again if you launch it? And did the same issue happen on the other systems, except windows10?
    This behavior may be caused by different reasons. Sometimes, firewall could cause this kind of issues. I suggest you temporarily disable the firewall on computers and try again.

Besides, here is an article regarding the same scenario, please see it and use for reference:
    Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/297684

And a similar issue is discussed in the following thread, you could also take a look:
    Loss of mapped drive, networked drive disconnects https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c6da707b-5224-40f5-8d0e-e8985453221d/loss-of-mapped-drive-networked-drive-disconnects?forum=w7itpronetworking

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:16 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

I also have a Win7 machine and I'm not seeing the same problem and I verified that my firewall is disabled.  The problem isn't that I see an red "X" on the share and I just have to double-click to reconnect, its that when the Group Policy refresh occurs the manually mounted shares drop completely, whether the share is active or idle at the time of the refresh.   In order to get the share back I have to re-map it again.

I have two other shares on my Win10 machine that are being mounted by GP (S:\) and via the Home Directory field in AD (H:\) that don't drop when the refresh occurs and I verified that the drive letter for the manual mounts are not being used by GP or AD.

I can reproduce this problem every time when I manually run 'gpupdate'.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Hi,
    Have you checked the event logs on computers?

Friday, February 19, 2016 9:44 AM
  • When it happens, the only thing that is in the Event Log is under System:

Level: Information

Source: GroupPolicy (Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy)

Event ID:  1051

Body of Message:

The Group Policy settings for the user were processed successfully. There were no changes detected since the last successful processing of Group Policy.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:34 PM
  • Good Day

Do you use a logon script for those shares ? or if can you share some of the GP config for the drives
    Thanks
    Regards
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:42 PM
  • I'll just manually "Map A Network Drive" and when a GP refresh occurs, those manually mapped drives drop.   I have a share that gets mounted via Group Policy and I have another share that is defined in AD for my home directory, both of those shares are not effected.

Works fine in Windows 7, but since moving to a new machine running Windows10, I have to remount the share 7-10 times a day.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:09 PM
  • Hi,
    Based on my understanding, the issue only happened on the specific operating system.

I would suggest that you could register your questions using Windows Feedback on the windows10 and please post your questions in the following forum:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Wendy

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 9:26 AM
  • Why is this marked as an answer? You didn't answer his question at all, you just pointed him to another forum, where by the way this post hasn't been recreated. If he had recreated the post and someone had answered it, a link to their answer might be acceptable, but this thread should not be marked as answered. 

Has anyone determined an solution for this problem?

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:04 PM
  • Hi Brett,

I am having exactly the same issue at my company.

The Windows 7 computers have stable drive mappings/connections

The new Windows 10 computers are losing one of their drive mappings about once an hour.

I haven't worked on the issue myself, but it looks like there is a corresponding group policy error.

I will get the error code and post more details.

Regards,

John Heller.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 5:27 AM
  • > The new Windows 10 computers are losing one of their drive mappings
    > about once an hour.

Change "Action" from "replace" to "update" - "replace" will disconnect,
    then reconnect (starting with Win8).

Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:02 AM
  • I noticed something the other day that for now allows me to keep my shares from dropping.  Through GP, we mount the S:\ drive w/"Use first available, starting at:".   When I was manually mounting my shares, I just used whatever letter was available (usually Z:, Y:, etc...).   The other day, I manually mounted a share on M:\ and when the GP refresh occurred, I didn't lose my manually mounted share.  After looking into it some more, I notice that any share that I mounted prior to S:\ didn't drop, but all shares after S:\ did.

I'm wondering if because "Use first available starting at:" in GP is set and not just "Use" if somehow GP is 'reserving' the letters after S:\.

What I haven't tested and intend to do, is change the GP for "Drive Letter" to "Use" only rather that first available to see if I experience the same results.

I will let you know what I find.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:29 PM
  • I just tested my theory and I appear to be correct.  I manually mounted two shares on Y:\ and Z:\  and changed my GP entry from "Use first available, starting at:" to "Use:" and then ran a 'gpupdate', I'm did not lose my shares.

Then I switched back to "Use first available, starting at:", ran 'gupdate' again the shares dropped, tried this multiple times and was able to produce the same results each time.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:39 PM
  • > Then I switched back to "Use first available, starting at:", ran
    > 'gupdate' again the shares dropped, tried this multiple times and was
    > able to produce the same results each time.

Might be a bug in the Drive Maps CSE - but I must admit I never used
    "first available" :)

Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:29 PM