Disabling Messages in Action Center using GPO? RRS feed

• Question

• We are deploying Windows 7 across our campus and would like to disable messages about the firewall, backup and Windows Defender. The firewall and Windows Defender are programs our network admin believe do not need to be wasting the few system resources we have on these machines and has decided to rely on the Campus firewall instead. That being said, we turned these notifications off yet they are turned on again after sysprep. I found an article here on how to disable them via registry settings that are imported during sysprep, but we are trying to do this via GPO either local or domain. Another post found here showed how to use a reg xml in a GPO but this was only to disable the backup messages. Has anyone found a way to disable these via GPO yet?
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:41 PM

Answers

• No such GPO is available.

There is a workaround. The following thread may be referred.

How can I turn off messages for certain Action Center items?

There is another easier way. If you would like to turn off all notifications from Action Center, just change the notification area setting to turn off Action Center. To do so, on your sample computer, turn off Action Center from Notification Area. Then export the following Registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

You may edit a startup script and use the commands “reg delete” and “reg add” to edit the Registry.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, May 28, 2010 5:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, May 28, 2010 5:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, May 28, 2010 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:08 AM

All replies

• I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I'm curious...  Do these machines give the users the capabilities to download software in any fashion?  ActiveX in a web browser?  Do you have antivirus software running on the machines?  Depending on these answers, your network admin may be asking for trouble.  You need not answer here, but you should check.

-Noel

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:57 PM
  • No such GPO is available.

There is a workaround. The following thread may be referred.

How can I turn off messages for certain Action Center items?

There is another easier way. If you would like to turn off all notifications from Action Center, just change the notification area setting to turn off Action Center. To do so, on your sample computer, turn off Action Center from Notification Area. Then export the following Registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

You may edit a startup script and use the commands “reg delete” and “reg add” to edit the Registry.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, May 28, 2010 5:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, May 28, 2010 5:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, May 28, 2010 5:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:08 AM
  • They can install programs as needed which is unfortunate. Our network admin would love to lock these down so they can't, but administration at the school and instructors lack of planning makes it so we cannot. Students need to be able to install software that comes with their books and this software is rarely provided to IT so that we can have it on the machines in advance. It's not the best way to run things, but we're stuck with it for the time being.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:40 PM
  • We can block all software installation. Just need to downgrade the users from administrator to standard users. However it is not possible to allow certain installation and not allow other programs.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 5:16 AM