none
Set Default Homepage in Edge that users can change RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to set a default homepage in Edge, that is set initially to a custom homepage when users first launch Edge, but that is not enforced and allows them to change it, and then it is not changed back. For IE11 we use a group policy preference that is set to run one time only and that works perfectly for this in IE11.

I am aware of the Administrative template GPO setting Microsoft Edge>Configure home pages, which does work to set the homepage in a enforced manner, but this does not allow users to change it.

I see many technet and other threads from 2015 with people trying to accomplish this, but none where someone actualaly found a way to do it, there seems be a set of protected registry keys don't don't allow you to change them and have it work. It seems very odd that Edge is the latest and greatest Microsoft browser but that it lacks so many basic management features for customization.

Now that is is 2017 is anyone aware of a way to configure this in Edge using group policy preferences, registry keys, scripts etc? Anything that can be automated for a large number of Windows 10 systems? 

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi, In edge you can't stop users changing their homepage settings with GPO. But you can configure which websites/nodes they open when they click on a Desktop, Start Menu or Quick launch item. When Edge is set as the default web browser Internet Shortcuts (.url) will use edge instead of IE to open the web address. For your enterprise apps on all windows platforms you can deploy desktop shortcuts to your corporate homepage. For your enterprise assets that still require IE to use, you could create a desktop LINK file (.lnk) that points to the landing page of that web app. eg. "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -private "http://bing.com/" (note: point to the x86 Program Files folder for both x86 and x64 machines) You can deploy .url and .lnk files to the users desktop or startup folders with a msi. For users personal surfing deploy a desktop link (.lnk) to IE using the -private switch. Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:01 PM
  • So when you use "Configure Home pages" to set the homepage, that DOES prevent a user from changing their homepage from the one that you set. I am trying to find a way to set the edge homepage value and still allow them to change it, so it is just set once initially when they first open edge.

I understand we can deploy desktop .url shortcuts that would open in edge because edge is the default brower, but that isn't quite the same as setting the homepage as the default in the browser itself. Any other ideas on this?

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:44 PM
  • you seem to have a different version of the admx files to me... are you on the Insider preview?

Rob^_^

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:02 AM
  • I am using the current production or CBB v1607, no special insider preview editions. That screenshot was just from the policy description of a gpresult /h report of the settings on the system which is why it looks different, my actual GPMC setting looks identical to yours.
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 4:07 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:43 AM
  • Thanks for checking, it is still not resolved. I still do not know how to set a homepage in Edge that all users receive when they first login, but that they are able to change. The only group policy setting for this, Microsoft Edge>Configure home pages, sets a homepage in an enforced way where the users can't change it, which is not what I want.

There is no group policy preferences for Edge, which is how I set this for IE11 (Using a GPP item to run once only)

Is anyone else aware of a solution?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:54 PM
  • After that I did some research, and I think you are right, there is no GP preferences for Edge. I'm afraid we need to wait for the next update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:35 AM
  • Have you managed to find a solution for this, some 6 months later, @endoftheline3 ?
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:21 PM
  • Actually it looks like Windows 10 1703 added this setting:

DisableLockdownOfStartPages

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/deploy/available-policies

• Proposed as answer by lforbes Friday, December 14, 2018 10:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Actually it looks like Windows 10 1703 added this setting:

DisableLockdownOfStartPages

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/deploy/available-policies

Thank You. I was trying everything with this and this GPO is the perfect solution.

lforbes

Friday, December 14, 2018 10:45 PM