Windows 8.1 Deploy Error (YT Video Link) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, this is an on going issue I am having with Deploying Windows 8.1 using MDT. I am using VM to build a reference machine and I take snap shots as i go along. The deployment fails for no apparent reason. I have captured an image from the same reference VM before and it worked fine. This has been on / off kind of situation and though not much is required, it is annoying having to rebuild the whole image again. Hoping to get some insight.

The deployment fails after the OS / Image is applied and it does its first reboot. Attached is a youtube video. The next step should be "Getting Devices Ready" but that never happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URD2DO6LIXw&feature=youtu.be

Attached is a snippet of BDD.log as i am using DynLogging. Hopefully someone can guide me.

Friday, October 10, 2014 11:48 PM

Answers

• Yup, that's an error in sysprep.

Most likely due to some Windows 8 apps out of sync.

2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP Failed to remove apps for the current user: 0x80073cf2.
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP Exit code of RemoveAllApps thread was 0x3cf2.
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Failure occurred while executing 'SysprepGeneralize' from C:\Windows\System32\AppxSysprep.dll; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP ActionPlatform::ExecuteAction: Error in executing action; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP ActionPlatform::ExecuteActionList: Error in execute actions; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP SysprepSession::Execute: Error in executing actions from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Generalize.xml; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP RunPlatformActions:Failed while executing SysprepSession actions; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error      [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error      [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep generalize internal providers; hr = 0x80073cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Info       [0x0f004c] SYSPRP WaitThread:Exiting spawned waiting thread

-k

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, October 13, 2014 2:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Girish Verma Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:29 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 2:18 AM

All replies

• The attached video shows a Virtual Machine booting, however at time index 0:36 I can see the machine reach the logon prompt, I do not see the "Getting Devices Ready" problem you mention above.

Specifically, what is your problem?

Saturday, October 11, 2014 4:31 PM
  • Hi Keith, the problem is that the deployment is not finishing. The logon screen you are seeing is that the deployment is breaking in the middle, stopping and not continuing. This is what is happening:

Deployment process starts

OS is installed and first reboot is done

at first reboot is what the video is showing.

The next step SHOULD be "Getting Devices Ready" . It goes on to install devices, get the machine ready logs on and last step in my task sequence is "Final Configuration for MDT"  which is based on this article:

http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/122/Final-Configuration-for-MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-now-with-Autologon-support.aspx

After that is done, the machine is supposed to restart and finally come to a logon screen with "Administrator" to log on with.

The funny thing is this happens randomly. I have worked with same VM took snap shots re captured images few times...but every now and then at deployment, either deployment completes or it just stops randomly like it is shown in the video.

I hope this clarifies things. 

Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:10 PM
  • Getting devices ready is not done after the Task Sequence is completed, it is done after booting into the OS for the first time, during the specialize and OOBE phases.

Once the MDT task sequence has completed, you can tell MDT to reboot the machine one final time, but I would not characterize that final reboot as "First reboot".

Now you are adding in the complexity of the Final Configuration with Johan's process. Does the machine fail to autologon after the first reboot into the OS during the MDT Task Sequence? If so I would confirm that your images were properly syspreped, looking at the sysprep\panther logs to positively confirm it.

Otherwise if your machine is failing to autologin *after* the MDT task sequence has completed, then I would confirm that you following the instructions listed by Johan.

If you are still having problems, please copy your bdd.log to a public share like OneDrive, and share the link.

Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:58 PM
  • I apologize for confusion Keith. I guess what I am trying to say is that the deployment is breaking in the middle. The MDT Task Sequence is not completing fully. 

Usually when I have imaging I have noticed that after the OS is applied the image reboots as part of TS, the next step it does is Installs Devices etc and continues on doing the setup etc. In this case, It kinda just comes up to the logon screen as you have seen in the video so again, the TS is not completing fully.

BDD.log attached for you and you'll see the log is much more shorter than compared to a log when the machine has successfully completed the imaging process / TS.

http://1drv.ms/1szi03V

Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:48 PM
  • MDT needs hooks into the unattend.xml file telling the OS during OOBE to add itself to the startup group and enabe AutoAdminLogon. However in this case we can see from the Log that MDT never ran during OOBE setup. This is the problem. LTIBOotStrap.vbs --> LiteTouch.wsf

This can be caused by several things. We should look at your panther logs for more details, however there are two major causes for why this might not work:

1. Your image was not syspreped properly. If you don't properly sysprep your image, OOBE setup won't run, and thus won't parse the unattended.xml file. Positively verify that sysprep completed properly by checking the sysprep\panther logs.

2. If you use a custom unattend.xml file, that does not contain the correct LTIBootStrap.vbs reference found in the default MDT templates, then OOBE won't run MDT and enable the AutoLogonHooks

Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Which log from the Panther folder can I provide you with. I also noticed that only IE folder exists on the  c:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther folder location. This is on the Reference VM (the VM i am using to take an image)

Also I'd like to add that my whole MDT setup is based on the new book Deployment Fundamentals Vol 4. 

What I am having a hard time understanding is that why does this work once and not others. For eg

I create reference VM. I used the Suspend option (LTISuspend) to suspend the TS.

I do some company branding. I take a snapshot. I resume the task sequence by clicking the icon on desktop, The capture goes along fine.

I deploy the image - It works

I then revert back to snapshot I took, add more stuff to the reference image, do another capture

I deploy the image - It works

I then repeat the process again, add more stuff to the reference VM i do another capture

I deploy the image - It stops in the middle. I don't get why it work two times before and then it doesn't work. I am not even modifying much, just adding a new build of an already installed application on the reference VM.

Here is a picture of my unattend.xml for Deploying the reference image. As you can see the options exist for Administrator account to be enabled and in the 7 oobe system I have Administrator to be able to log on 50 times.

I hope I have not confused you, I look forward to more ideas. Cheers.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 3:33 AM
  • Please don't include pictures of text files, instead include the *ACTUAL* text file.

When in doubt for which log files to include, copy them all to OneDrive, they're not that big.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:51 PM
  • Okay.

I have uploaded the panther logs to OneDrive. (logs are from the reference VM I'll be taking an image of) Thanks.

http://1drv.ms/1swi0T6

Sunday, October 12, 2014 5:16 PM
  • The fact that there were no panther logs for sysprep is suspicious. THe only logs provided were from Aug 2014, not recent.

However I can see that most of the unattend.xml commands were processed by the full install panther logs.

There is a disconnect here...

Check to see if LTIBootStrap.vbs was copied to the local drive correctly. Additionally, you might try modifying the script to write some logging. Was the LTIBootStrap.vbs script called or not? Did the Litetouch.wsf script run or not?

-k

Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Hello, I am not sure why the logs are not there. Any reason you can think of?

I actually restored the VM to an earlier snapshot (before sysprep ran) and realized that is the reason log are not recent, though when I actually just restarted the VM up (after sysprepping) i noticed the dates have still not changed.

LTIBootStrap.vbs is being copied over to the root of C:\ on the VM i am using to deploy the OS. I can confirm this.

I started up the VM I am deploying to (which stops half way through), I can still log on to it using a separate local account that is part of the image, and I noticed what didn't happen was the Administrator account was disabled. I am not sure if this is the reason why deployment is not completing. Though the unattend.xml that is being used to deploy the final image has instructions in the "Specialize" pass to enable the administrator account.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 9:35 PM
  • I have attached the logs from the failed machine.

http://1drv.ms/1z2sddA

Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Yup, that's an error in sysprep.

Most likely due to some Windows 8 apps out of sync.

2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP Failed to remove apps for the current user: 0x80073cf2.
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP Exit code of RemoveAllApps thread was 0x3cf2.
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Failure occurred while executing 'SysprepGeneralize' from C:\Windows\System32\AppxSysprep.dll; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP ActionPlatform::ExecuteAction: Error in executing action; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP ActionPlatform::ExecuteActionList: Error in execute actions; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP SysprepSession::Execute: Error in executing actions from C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ActionFiles\Generalize.xml; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error                 SYSPRP RunPlatformActions:Failed while executing SysprepSession actions; dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error      [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = 0x3cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Error      [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep generalize internal providers; hr = 0x80073cf2
    2014-10-12 13:09:02, Info       [0x0f004c] SYSPRP WaitThread:Exiting spawned waiting thread

-k

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, October 13, 2014 2:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Girish Verma Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:29 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Thank you Keith for pointing me in the right direction. I was not aware at all that in Windows 8 these built in apps etc can cause issues with sysprepping. I will be researching more and try to clean up the current reference image and deploy again and see how it works.

Cheers

Monday, October 13, 2014 4:20 PM