Nokia Lumia 1020 Bluetooth won't stay connected RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to pair my Lumia 1020 Windows 8 Phone to a Windows 8.1 Surface Pro. The device goes through the pairing process and will show connected for a few seconds but then the connection drops. I have read several articles explaining that I need to download the drivers from the manufacturer but Nokia doesn't have any drivers listed. Under device manager there is a Windows Phone device listed under Bluetooth but the driver is from 2006 and I am unable to get Windows to find a newer driver (Windows Update shows this driver as being the newest).  I found a different article that suggested using the Windows Inbox driver but when I try to point device manager to the usbvideo.sys Inbox driver it doesn't recognize that as a valid Bluetooth driver.

I have also tried pairing the phone to a Lenovo T410 running Windows 8.1 Pro and get the same result.  Lenovo's website explains that the Bluetooth driver is supplied by Microsoft and will be updated through Windows Update.  I don't have any non-Windows 8.1 devices to test this connection on.

Can someone please help me figure out what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by Connor McCloud Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:28 PM thuroughness
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 5:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ask this in the Surface forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/

both are consumer devices, so the chances are higher that you get answers there.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  I will certainly post my question there too but as I stated in my initial post this is happening on more than just the Surface tablet.  This is also happening on my Lenovo T410 and I've also tried this on my Lenovo T61 since my initial post.  That indicates to me this is a Windows 8.1 issue.  Not a tablet issue. 

If I hadn't mentioned the Surface tablet and was just asking about the Lenovos, what course of action would you suggest?

Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:52 PM
  • I would ask in a Nokia forum, because I have no Lumia phone, so I can't answer this.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Please connect another bluetooth device to confirm if the culprit is Windows or Nokia.

In addition, Please refre to the following article to troubleshoot:

Troubleshoot Bluetooth devices

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-sg/support/hardware-and-drivers/troubleshoot-bluetooth-devices

FAQ - My Bluetooth connection is not working

http://www.nokia.com/mea-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA141396

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Andre.ZieglerEditor Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:55 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:41 AM
  • I'm having the same problems. Nokia 1020 (latest firmware etc.), Lenovo W540 (workstation) laptop with windows 8.1 (and all the latest drivers) and Surface Pro 2 with windows 8.1 (and all the update). Non of the devices is able to maintain a stable bluetooth connection. It's is driving me absolutely crazy! Also had a Sony MD10 bluetooth streaming device...same problem. The only device that is working is the iBT120aptx adapter in my Geneva Sound System.

Please help with whis as it seems that it is Microsof Windows 8.1 related... (and al the 'basic' troubleshooting guides don't help with this...trust me).

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:20 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. Nokia 1020 Lenevo Yoga thinkpad. Cant get the USB connection to work either. :P Any solution to this?
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:39 AM
  • I have the same problem: My Lumia 1020 just stay connected for a few seconds with my laptops (Lenovo T430 - windows 7, Toshiba P50 - Windows 8.1), while it works fine with Bluetooth speaker.

I came across to this solution with my Toshiba P50 (windows 8.1) to send/receive files, you can have a try!

1. Turn on Bluetooth of both devices (of course!!!)
    2. Pair the 2 devices, it will connect each other for a few seconds.
    3. Right click on the Bluetooth icon on your laptop. You'll see some options, including "Send a file" or "Receive a file"
    4. Choose "send a file" for example, you'll see the pop-up windows that lists up the Bluetooth devices your laptop recognize. --> choose your Lumia 1020 --> click next
    5. Choose the file you want to send --> click next --> a message appears on your phone to ask you to receive the file.
    6. Agree --> the transferring start.

To receive a file from Lumia 1020, just do the same way,
    1. Choose "Receive a file" from Bluetooth icon
    2. Choose the file on Lumia --> share via bluetooth --> choose your laptop as receiver --> the transferring starts.

For other connection (with bluetooth, printer...), I haven't check yet, but you can try this way to find out.

Saturday, August 9, 2014 6:51 AM
  • I'm having the same issue where multiple make/model phones (Samsung ATIV-S & Nokia Lumia 820) can be paired and connect to a W8.1 machine but it unpairs automatically after a few seconds. I'm not trying to send files back and forth, I'm trying to connect the phone to the machine via BT in order to perform a backup/sync of contacts, call history etc. The application that I'm using is not even in the mix yet so that is not the issue. I've tried this on multiple machines without success.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:28 PM