Windows Firewall Service RRS feed

• Question

• For years I have always disabled the firewall service because I have no need for the windows firewall.  With the windows firewall completely disabled, why would I want the service enabled?

In testing out 2016, im finding that with the service disabled server manager will not connect to other server anymore.  Why?  What does the service have to do with anything other than the Firewall? 

If this service is now doing more things than running the firewall, then shouldn't it get renamed accordingly or split out to more aptly named services?

It may have been like this in 2012 as well but Ive never used 2012

Friday, October 30, 2015 5:17 PM

Answers

• I get the same and the same on Server 2012 R2. Interestingly it stops responding to pings (configured to respond to pings) and stops letting me access the file shares as well. Turn the firewall service back on and ping responds again and Server Manager connects again.

This to me would appear to be that that firewall service is linked to the network stack. So if the firewall service is off then it cannot or does not allow connections. This would appear part of the OS so it maybe you have to just disabled the firewall if that is what you want and the leave the service running on Server 2012 or above.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 3:27 PM

All replies

• I get the same and the same on Server 2012 R2. Interestingly it stops responding to pings (configured to respond to pings) and stops letting me access the file shares as well. Turn the firewall service back on and ping responds again and Server Manager connects again.

This to me would appear to be that that firewall service is linked to the network stack. So if the firewall service is off then it cannot or does not allow connections. This would appear part of the OS so it maybe you have to just disabled the firewall if that is what you want and the leave the service running on Server 2012 or above.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft doesn't support stopping the Windows Firewall service directly. For detailed information, please refer to the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee126090(v=ws.10).aspx

Please start with "Important".

If we want to turn off Windows Firewall, please configure the three profiles to off state.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for confirming what I have been seeing.  Although this does not make me happy to be forced to leave a service turned on that I will never use.

I would like to propose that MS change the name of the service since it does so much more than just run the firewall.  Something more like "Microsoft Core Networking Service" would be a more apt name to use and also update the description to match.

Monday, November 2, 2015 1:24 PM