none
Not transparent behavior of scheduler RRS feed

• Question

• I have set two tasks in automatic mode: one task after another using predecessors link as defined below. Task A is completed in 100%. 

Id  |Task Name  |Predecessors |Start |Finish
    265 |Task A |264 |Fri 24/06/11 |Mon 27/06/11
    266 |Task B |265 |Fri 29/07/11 |Thu 04/08/11

What I don't understand is why MS Project schedules Task B a month after the first one. I'm particularly missing feedback from MS Project justifying this decision. Without this feedback nailing down the problem and its reason becomes hard.

1. What could be the possible reason for that?
    2. How can I get feedback from MS Project with explanation why the given task has been scheduled in a certain way?

Some more details here:

1. Task B contrain type is "Start as soon as possible"
    2. Resources assigned to the task have no holidays in this period (no exceptions in calendar)

Thank you in advance,

Maciej

Friday, July 1, 2011 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Here's the solution.

Your fiel is full of links between summary tasks - so many it's become nearly impossible to see shich one dictates the schedule of which other one. Moreover, they are absolutely useless and even dangerous since nearly all of them point backward (sucessors do not follow suit because they are 100% done). Isimply deletes these links - they still indluence tasks that are not started yet! and the problem is solved.

I send you back this corrected file by mail.

Greetings,

Monday, July 4, 2011 8:22 PM

All replies

• dzieciou --

Apply the Gantt Chart view and select task ID #266, Task B.  Click the Task tab to display the Task ribbon.  In the Tasks section of the ribbon, click the Inspect button to open the Task Inspector sidepane on the left side of the screen.  The Task Inspector will tell you the reason why Task B starts on the date that it does.  Let us know what you find and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, July 1, 2011 10:57 AM
  • Thank you Dale for your quick response. I did not know about Task Inspector. Here's the output you suggested to get:

Factors Affecting Task:

• Auto Scheduled
    • Start: Fri 29/7/11
    • Finish: Thu 04/08/11
    • Summary Task: 261 - WP2

Clicking 261 - WP2 shows: "Resources overallocated due to work on other tasks: Dave"

Removing overallocation of Dave from the summary task does not improve the schedule of Task #266. The problem remains. Any suggestions?

Friday, July 1, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

Have you assigned any resource to the Summary Task also that is assigned to this Task B?

Sapna S
    Friday, July 1, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Just want to check on 1 thing more, do you have any constrain set on the Summary Task for this group of tasks under which these 2 tasks fall ?
    Sapna S
    Friday, July 1, 2011 11:43 AM
  • dzieciou --

OK, now we're discovering the power of the Task Inspector!  The reason that the task is delayed is because someone, you or someone else, leveled the resource overallocation for the resource assigned to the task.  But removing the overallocation will not make the task start as you want it to do. Here's what you will need to do:

1.  Click the Resource tab to display the Resource ribbon.
    2.  In the Leveling section of the ribbon, click the Leveling Options button.
    3.  In the Resource Leveling dialog, make sure the "Manual" option is specified (NOT the Automatic option).  If Automatic is specified, change it to Manual and then click the OK button.

You need to perform the above set of steps to make sure that Microsoft Project 2010 never levels resource overallocations without your permission or guidance.

4.  Select the task that is delayed.
    5.  In the Leveling section of the ribbon, click the Clear Leveling button.
    6.  Choose the "Selected tasks" option and click the OK button.

The second set of steps will remove the Leveling Delay on the task that is delayed, and allow it to start at the earliest date possible based on its relation with its Predecessor task.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Proposed as answer by Jim AkselModerator Monday, July 4, 2011 2:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by dzieciou Monday, July 4, 2011 9:43 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Thank you, Dale.

Unfortunately this solution has not resolved the problem.

1.  Resource Leveling was already manual.
    2.  I removed resource assignment from the parental task to remove possible overallocation.
    3.  Then I cleared leveling for the selected task. Nothing has changed.
    4.  I tried to see Team Planner to see more details, but the screen got frozen during scrolling and I needed to restart MS Project
    5.  Resource usage shows that the resource assigned to this task is not used at all between  27/06/11 and  29/07/11
    6.  Task Inspect does not explain this delay.

Any suggestion? What could be the reason?

Monday, July 4, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Just want to check on 1 thing more, do you have any constrain set on the Summary Task for this group of tasks under which these 2 tasks fall ?
    Sapna S
    Only: Start as soon as possible
    Monday, July 4, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

Have you assigned any resource to the Summary Task also that is assigned to this Task B?

Sapna S

There was resource assigned to the Summary Task, but I removed it for checking what happens. Nothing.

After that I applied solution proposed by Dale (clearing resource leveling), but without any satisfying result.

Any idea what could be the reason?

Monday, July 4, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

Let's stop gusessing. You can send me teh file at jandemesATonline.be I'll have a look.

You do know that AT stands for @ don't you?

Greetings,

Monday, July 4, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

Let's stop gusessing. You can send me teh file at jandemesATonline.be I'll have a look.

You do know that AT stands for @ don't you?

Thank you for your help offer. 

I've sent you the project file but it cannot be delivered to you. I've got the following error:

The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 (your email here)>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table (state 14).

Are you sure you gave me the correct e-mail address?

Greetings.

Monday, July 4, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Sorry! It's jandemesATprom-ade.be
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Here's the solution.

Your fiel is full of links between summary tasks - so many it's become nearly impossible to see shich one dictates the schedule of which other one. Moreover, they are absolutely useless and even dangerous since nearly all of them point backward (sucessors do not follow suit because they are 100% done). Isimply deletes these links - they still indluence tasks that are not started yet! and the problem is solved.

I send you back this corrected file by mail.

Greetings,

Monday, July 4, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Thank you very much for your help.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:56 PM