none
Sequencing Toad for Oracle 12.1 with App-V 5.0

General discussion

• Application Name:  Toad for Oracle

Application Version:  12.1

Company Name:  Dell (formerly Quest Software) 

Sequencer Version:  5.0 SP2

App-V Client Version Tested On:  5.0, 5.0 SP1, 5.0 SP2

Operating System Sequenced On:  Windows 7 (32bit)

Pre-requisites:  None (although the application will require that an Oracle client be available to work)

Client Operating Systems Successfully Deployed To:  Windows 7 (32 and 64bit), Windows Server 2008 (32 and 64bit)

*Posted by non-Microsoft Employee:  Cody Lambert (a Fortune 100 company)

If Posted by Microsoft Employee, the Corresponding KB Article Reference:  N/A

Steps to Sequence the Application: 

Steps to be performed prior to sequencing:

• Step 1:  Extract Toad for Oracle 12.1.msi from the Quest Installer package.  (This will also extract the QuestKey.reg template file)
    • Step 2:  Configure the License File (QuestKey.reg)  http://documents.software.dell.com/DOC98822
    • Step 3:  Copy the Toad for Oracle12.1.msi as well as the QuestKey.reg to the sequencer machine

Steps to be performed during sequencing:

• Step 1:  Start Sequencer > Create package (default) > Standard Application (default) > Perform a custom installation > Primary Virtual Application Directory (C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1\) > Next to start capture
    • Step 2:  Import the QuestKey.reg
    • Step 3:  Install Toad for Oracle12.1.msi  (be sure to un-check the box to start Toad when installation finishes)
    • Step 4:  Check "I am finished installing" box and click Next
    • Step 5:  Do not run any programs to manage first use tasks
    • Step 6:  Customize
    • Step 7:  Run each program briefly to optimize package (Toad for Oracle will complain that there are no Oracle clients installed on the Sequencer machine.   That is normal)
    • Step 8:  Proceed as normal thru the rest of the Sequencing UI. 

Known Issues/Limitations:  Most of the user based settings are created when the application is first run, so in order to keep the user settings outside the package do not run the application during sequencing.                                 

Approximate Sequencing Time:  20 minutes (includes preparation time for licensing model)

Descriptive Tags:  App-V, 5.0, Toad for Oracle, Recipe, Guidance

Update:  If you are planning on running this in a stateless environment with profile management, you will want to follow the steps outlined in this article related to copying the ProductLicenses.xml file during sequencing.  https://support.software.dell.com/toad-for-oracle/kb/61238

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:58 PM

All replies

• How is the Oracle made available on the client machine? Is it a physical install or App-V package?
    Monday, March 31, 2014 8:20 PM
  • On some machines Oracle is installed locally.  On others Oracle is delivered with App-V and part of a Connection group that contains Toad.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:08 PM
  • Great post thanks Cody - works a treat! I don't think i'd have got this app working otherwise...
    Only thing that puzzles me is when adding the registry key to HKCU before install, I can't how fathom Toad continues to remain licensed for additional users once deployed as HKCU is not included by the sequencer? I can only assume that when setup queries this key on install it somehow records this information elsewhere which it then applies to new users.

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:17 PM
  • The registry keys added to HKCU before install are actually captured in the sequence.  What happens is, when Toad runs thru its  "first run" for each user, it queries this location in registry to get its license information.  So basically what we are doing is providing each user the environment they would see if they just had a fresh Toad install on a local machine.  All of their customizations are created outside of the App-V package as well this way.  If my post helps, Please vote!  Thanks!

Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:49 PM
  • I'm trying to sequence TOAD 12.6 with 4.5 Sequencer. Everything looks good during the sequencing, but when I stream it, the license doesn't seem to be applying (get prompted to add license info). Any ideas?
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Unfortunately I am not familiar at all with 4.5.  Hopefully one of the others on here will be able to provide some ideas.
    Monday, June 15, 2015 8:41 PM