none
Question about Chkdsk message RRS feed

• Question

• Novice needs help please.  I tried to run the Disk Defragmenter on my C-drive and got a message saying Chkdsk /f. is scheduled to run.  How do I (a) get it to actually run, or (b) get it unscheduled so I can do the defrag?   Thanks, George in K.C.

P.S.  You can reply via my email........memsinger@earthlink.net

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:06 PM

Answers

• At the command prompt type:

c:\>chkdsk /f

Then press enter. depending on the OS (W2k, XP, Vista) It will probably tell you that check disk has been scheduled to run at next boot. You should then just do a restart. during the boot up process a windows looking a great deal like a standard command box will display with a bunch of information about your disks listed. Just let it run. When it is finished it will reboot.
    You can then logon and do whatever you need to.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

You can find the results of chkdsk in your event log.  Even if you can manage to get defrag to run, it is not safe to do so if chkdsk does not give the file system a clean bill of health.  Make sure you get your chkdsk errors corrected before trying to defrag.

Thanks,

Rob

Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:34 PM

All replies

• At the command prompt type:

c:\>chkdsk /f

Then press enter. depending on the OS (W2k, XP, Vista) It will probably tell you that check disk has been scheduled to run at next boot. You should then just do a restart. during the boot up process a windows looking a great deal like a standard command box will display with a bunch of information about your disks listed. Just let it run. When it is finished it will reboot.
    You can then logon and do whatever you need to.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I tried entering as you suggested, and it did tell me I should reboot.  I did, and the chkdisk doesn't run successfully - I get an error in Stage 1 of 3.  Is there a way to "freeze" that screen so I can write down the error message?  It clears off so quickly I can't get it written down. 

George in K.C.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Hi George,

We cannot log the whole process. It runs quickly, so there is no issue on your hard drive. If there is any problem, it will report at the end of the process and let you select that if you would fix or ignore it.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:31 AM
  • Thanks Arthur - that's somewhat reassuring, but I still can't run the defrag utility because of the incomplete chkdsk.  Is there some way I can "trick" the system and get that defrag utility to run?

George in K.C.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

You can find the results of chkdsk in your event log.  Even if you can manage to get defrag to run, it is not safe to do so if chkdsk does not give the file system a clean bill of health.  Make sure you get your chkdsk errors corrected before trying to defrag.

Thanks,

Rob

Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:34 PM