What parts of Windows can wake a computer from hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• First, the problem: For the last few weeks, my laptop has started turning it's self on from a hibernated state. (Note: I do not mean sleep state, or hibernated sleep state, but rather a full powered-down hibernation.) I hibernate the computer when I am finished with it, and after a few hours the computer will simply turn it's self back on. (Sometimes it will even run the battery dead, and re-hibernate it's self, giving me an empty battery warning when I restart it.)

I have never heard of and Windows process or installed program being able to start a computer when in a powered-down state. The only way I know to start a computer is by 1) Pushing the power button. 2) Using a start-timer in the BIOS. 3) Using network start. That being said, I want to make sure that I am covering my bases. So, is there any way that you pros know about that a program in Windows, or Windows it's self can boot up a computer out of full hibernation? If so, I need to prevent this from happening.

Just to make my post clear, I understand that this is most likely a hardware issue resulting from the battery, power supply, motherboard, or a BIOS issue. I simply want to take Windows and it's programs out of the equation.

Thank you.

Sunday, February 8, 2009 1:38 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Firstly, may I know if the computer has been completely powered off after hibernation (without the hard disk acting, no lights)? Just for a check, please unplug the battery and the power adapter after the hibernation to ensure that the power has been cut and then plug them back to see if the issue reoccurs. If the issue doesn’t reoccur, please power on the computer to see if it will wake from the hibernation or launch a new start.

Please also check the following:

1.    Make sure that the computer is virus free.

2.    Check your power button of the computer, poor contact or short circuit may turn the computer on.

3.    Please perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

Clean boot

=================

1)    Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)    Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)    Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

4.    If you just power off the computer, will it turn on automatically?

5.    Please go to Safe Mode and hibernate the computer to see how it works.

6. Please check if there are some special settings in the BIOS.

Just as you said, I also agree that this should be a hardware issue. With regard to this, I would also suggest contact your computer’s manufacture for technical support.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:40 AM