Sharepoint wss 3.0 not indexing doc files RRS feed

• Question

• I have made the changes to index a Microsoft Word 2007 file (docx) as well as PDFs but for some reason it no longer indexes Microsoft Word 2003 files (doc) and I don't even know where to start troubleshooting.

One thing I did notice is that in my registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Search\Setup\ContentIndexCommon\Filters\Extension there is no key for doc files but there is for docx files.

In my registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0\Search\Setup\Filters I can see the doc, xls, ppt file extensions.

Anybody have any ideas I can try to work with?

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

have you taken the backup of your registry before carrying out this activity? If yes then try restoring it to check if it fixes the same.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Monday, May 28, 2012 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

Then try reverting back the changes you have done.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:38 AM

All replies

• > I have made the changes to index a Microsoft Word 2007 file (docx)

DOCX should already have been in your File Types list, as should DOC. Why did you need to change anything for DOCX and what were the changes?

Also, more details please. WSS or MOSS?  Are existing DOCs still findable, and only new DOCs being missed?  Did you do a full recrawl after making your changes?

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:09 PM
  • I am running WSS 3.0

I followed the steps to make registry changes for docx files as per this post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices/browse_thread/thread/4a5b36925b6f3a8a

docx files index perfectly.

Both existing and new docs (.docx) are indexed but neither old or new .doc files are being indexed.

The metadata is being indexed but not the content

Thanks again

Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Hi,

have you taken the backup of your registry before carrying out this activity? If yes then try restoring it to check if it fixes the same.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Monday, May 28, 2012 2:22 AM
  • I didn't do a backup :-(

Pierre

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Hi,

Then try reverting back the changes you have done.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:38 AM