none
PWA-Management View Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys- I wanted to know if it was possible to have an overall view of all active projects for management and filtered based on resources and managers in PWA? Is there a way to create a custom view for management?

• Edited by ryan9091 Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:50 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 6:33 PM

Answers

• ryan9091 --

The view you are seeking is a default view that already exists in Project Web App.  Your project managers should navigate to the Resource Center page in PWA.  In the list of resources, each PM should select the checkboxes for his/her own resources.  In the Resources ribbon, each PM should click the Resource Assignments button.  Project Web App will display the Resource Assignments page with the default Summary view applied.  This view groups the tasks for the selected resources by the name of each resource and then by the name of each project.  When the PM expands one of the project groups, he/she will see all of the tasks assigned to the resource in question.  I believe this default view will meet your reporting needs.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, February 3, 2020 7:49 PM
  • ryan9091 --

When a PM selects a group of resources on the Resource Center page, those resources will STAY selected each time the PM returns to that page.  So, the PMs will never need to repeat that step unless they want to select a different group of resources.  When the PM clicks the Resource Assignments button, the Resource Assignments page shows all of the selected resources, plus EVERY project to which the resource is assigned tasks, along with the respective tasks in each project.  The PMs will NEVER need to pick one project at a time as you state.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi-Thanks for the link

So I created a view and saved it. My next questions is how do I actually view the "view" that I just created?

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 11:37 PM
  • ryan9091 --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread.  Exactly WHAT type of PWA view did you create?  I will assume you created a Project Center view.  If so, did you include Categories that will be able to access the view?  For example, the My Organization category will provide access to the executives in your organization.

If my assumptions are correct so far, log into PWA and navigate to the Project Center page.  At the top of the page, click the Projects tab to expand the Projects ribbon.  In the Data section of the Projects ribbon, click the View pick list button and select the new view you created.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:19 PM
  • Hi thanks for the reply.

The view type I created is "Team tasks" and the category that I added is called "my direct reports". 

Please advice me how I would access this viewing option. Thank you

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 10:17 PM
  • ryan9091 --

You created the WRONG type of PWA view, my friend, at least according to your description of the view in your original question.  I would recommend you delete the Team Tasks custom view you created, and instead create a Project Center view.  That way your management can see the new custom view in the Project Center page in PWA, and this will show a list of all projects, which can then be filtered by the user as needed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 30, 2020 3:37 PM
  • okay, I understand what you are saying.

Question- Where would I access the view that I created for "Team Task".. I am just curious where this went. 

Thursday, January 30, 2020 5:42 PM
  • ryan9091 --

First of all, your application administrator would need to create a special type of Generic resource known as a Team resource. A Team resource represents an entire group of people who are part of that team.  When a project manager assigns a Team resource to a task, this creates what is known as a Team Task.  The people who are represented by the Team resource can see the Team task by navigating to the Timesheet page in PWA, clicking the Add Row button in the Timesheet ribbon, and then selecting the Add Team Tasks item on the menu.  Project Web App displays the Team Tasks page, which is where your custom view would appear.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 30, 2020 9:07 PM
  • Thank you so much for your replies. 

I want to tell you the type of view that I want and let me know if this is possible. 

I want project managers to see all tasks of their resources and for all the different projects that they are involved in on one view. 

• Edited by ryan9091 Monday, February 3, 2020 7:01 PM
    Monday, February 3, 2020 6:59 PM
  • ryan9091 --

The view you are seeking is a default view that already exists in Project Web App.  Your project managers should navigate to the Resource Center page in PWA.  In the list of resources, each PM should select the checkboxes for his/her own resources.  In the Resources ribbon, each PM should click the Resource Assignments button.  Project Web App will display the Resource Assignments page with the default Summary view applied.  This view groups the tasks for the selected resources by the name of each resource and then by the name of each project.  When the PM expands one of the project groups, he/she will see all of the tasks assigned to the resource in question.  I believe this default view will meet your reporting needs.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, February 3, 2020 7:49 PM
  • This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much Dale.

My last question would be- How can I save that view that you just showed me so that it could be easily accessible instead of having to go through the entire process? I want certain team leads to have direct access to that view instead of selecting one project at a time and viewing resource's tasks. 

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:20 AM
  • ryan9091 --

When a PM selects a group of resources on the Resource Center page, those resources will STAY selected each time the PM returns to that page.  So, the PMs will never need to repeat that step unless they want to select a different group of resources.  When the PM clicks the Resource Assignments button, the Resource Assignments page shows all of the selected resources, plus EVERY project to which the resource is assigned tasks, along with the respective tasks in each project.  The PMs will NEVER need to pick one project at a time as you state.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 12:57 AM
  • Dale- How would I assign this exact view to a team lead or project manager without having them go to resources and then resource assignments? Since I have administrator access, I want to be able to assign this view to certain users and not have them access the resources tab. 
    • Edited by ryan9091 Wednesday, February 5, 2020 4:41 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 4:37 PM
  • ryan9091 --

As I stated in my previous reply, they only need to select their resources ONE time.  Every PM needs to do this step initially.  And once done, they will need to navigate to the Resource Center page and click the Resource Assignments button.  I cannot find any way around this.

Out of curiosity, why is this such a big problem for your PMs?  You have given them a powerful project management tool, and they complain about two clicks of the mouse versus one click?  I don't get the pushback.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 5:52 PM
  • The director of IT is being very picky. He wants to be able to assign a particular view to a user and wants them to only have access to that. He created a view under team tasks with his specifications and wants to assign that to a group or a user. He is also willing to open up a ticket with Microsoft in order to achieve what he is looking for. I explain to him your recommendations but he believes that some users don't have access to resources tab and he doesn't want to give high level permissions to certain users.

• Edited by ryan9091 Thursday, February 6, 2020 7:42 PM
    Thursday, February 6, 2020 7:33 PM
  • ryan9091 --

To your Director of IT, I have only two words:  good luck!  He can open a support ticket with Microsoft, but he will learn from them what we have already told you in this group.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 6, 2020 7:53 PM