none
MS Office crashing on startup RRS feed

• Question

• Word, Excel, etc. gives me a "has stopped working" error message.

Outlook gives me "The file ADVAPI32.dll is incompatible with Microsoft Outlook. Install Outlook again." though the dll in question does not exist on my computer.

I also randomly get the message "Microsoft Office SDX Helper has stopped working"

I did a complete removal/re-installation, it worked for a day, and then went right back to doing this.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this?

Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:33 AM

Answers

• Okay, I got a workaround fix. It turned out to be the automatic Office updates which aren't compatible with my service pack. I haven't been able to update to SP1 for some reason. I fixed it by doing a complete removal with a tool called o15-ctrremove (don't remember where I found it), re-installing, and turning off Office updates. You can do that either in Office or in Windows update settings. Just know that this might leave your computer vulnerable to some issues that are addressed by updates, so it's a temporary fix. Hope this helps some people, those were a frustrating few days.
    • Marked as answer by markofkruger Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:35 AM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem last 24 hours, but for me reinstallation didnt´t help, even temporary.

I tried repair, reinstall and "Microsoft Support and Recovery" tool. 

Hope that someone come up with something.

Sunday, October 21, 2018 8:13 AM
  • I am facing the same <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="19" id="19">issue,</g> and tried to re-install with both 32 and 64 bit with no luck

If any once faced the issue please advise?

Sunday, October 21, 2018 12:20 PM
  • Hi markofkruger,

Have you made any changes to Office or Windows system before the issue occurred?
    Could you please collect the detailed build number of both Windows and Office so that we can do further research on this? 

Besides, to help narrow down if the problem is caused by any software conflicts, please try to perform a clean boot in Windows, then have a try and see if the issue persists. 

It is also suggested to try temporarily turning off the firewall or anti-virus software if there is any and check the result.

Any update, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 22, 2018 3:13 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem last 24 hours, but for me reinstallation didnt´t help, even temporary.

I tried repair, reinstall and "Microsoft Support and Recovery" tool. 

Hope that someone come up with something.

Hi VeronikaF,

Could you please provide the detailed version information of both Office and Windows so that we can do further research on this? 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 22, 2018 3:14 AM
  • I am facing the same <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="19" id="19">issue,</g> and tried to re-install with both 32 and 64 bit with no luck

If any once faced the issue please advise?

Hi Mousa,

May I know the build number of your Office and Windows?

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, October 22, 2018 3:15 AM
  • Hey there, I am experiencing the exact same issue as markofkruger. I have tried reinstalling office 365 and running a clean boot all to no avail. If you could tell me what information you need to help resolve the issue that would be great. Cheers.
    Monday, October 22, 2018 4:23 AM
  • Hey Markofkruger

As all the Office applications are giving the error message, then definitely the problem is in Office Suite. 

Run the System in Safe mode. Shutdown your computer and press f8 to move to the boot-up screen before launching the windows logo. Now select to run the computer in safe mode. Launch MS-Excel or Word, if no error appears then restart the system

Try to Repair Office from Control Panel. Go to Programs and features and select MS Office Suite. Click on Change button and a new window will open, click on Repair option to start troubleshooting. The tool will repair and fix issues with Office. 

Monday, October 22, 2018 4:58 AM
  • Okay, I got a workaround fix. It turned out to be the automatic Office updates which aren't compatible with my service pack. I haven't been able to update to SP1 for some reason. I fixed it by doing a complete removal with a tool called o15-ctrremove (don't remember where I found it), re-installing, and turning off Office updates. You can do that either in Office or in Windows update settings. Just know that this might leave your computer vulnerable to some issues that are addressed by updates, so it's a temporary fix. Hope this helps some people, those were a frustrating few days.
    • Marked as answer by markofkruger Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:35 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

This same issue started for me yesterday. None of my Office tools would would work. The error message that said "Microsoft Office SDX Helper has stopped working" kept coming up. I tried to reboot my computer and it  went straight to chckdsk. Reinstalling Office did not help. I don't know what else to do. I am no techie so I've no clue where to get the detailed version information of both Office and Windows. Could you walk me through that?

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:07 PM
  • I know this is an older post but this same issue started for all our users this Thursday with no changes made on our end.
    Saturday, March 30, 2019 2:53 AM