OPINIONS: 32bit or 64bit for me? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm considering purchasing an HP m8100y with a 2 Quad processor Q6600 (2.4GHz) and switching to 64bit Vista to take advantage of the 4Gig of RAM.

1. Can the Intel processor run Vista 64bit?

2. Has anyone had any experience with drivers or lack of for TV tuners?

Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:17 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hello. Intel Core 2 Quad processors can only run on 32bit Edition. But 4GB of RAM you can onstall and with 32bit verison
    Saturday, November 17, 2007 8:18 AM
  •  damix wrote:

Hello. Intel Core 2 Quad processors can only run on 32bit Edition. But 4GB of RAM you can onstall and with 32bit verison

This is untrue. My Q6700 has EM64T (64-bit support) and I had the option to install it if I wanted, but I only had Vista 32-bit and didn't want to always search for 64-bit versions of everything. When 64-bit is used by all developers big and small I'd probably switch to it.

However, on my Vista 32-bit only 3GB of my RAM is usable (3070MB). I don't know if this is a 32-bit limitation but I know the RAM is not bad. Basically, if you're going to use big programs from major developers (AOL, Symantec, Microsoft, etc.) then you're fine. And most drivers are available in 64-bit versions. In this case, 64-bit is really worth it.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting!

I checked this model of PC in Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). A compatibility report is provided. According to that, this PC can support 64-bit Windows Vista:

Compatibility report for HP m8100Y:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/ProductDetails.aspx?m=v&g=s&cid=&sv=HP%20m8100y&f=&pn=HP%20Pavilion%20Media%20Center%20TV%20m8100y-GG755AV%20PC&oid=31

For the memory choice, please refer to the following site from HP official website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01214756&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3463405&lang=en#N772

There are also driver updates for 64-bit Windows Vista, including the TV tuner:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3463405&lang=en

Also, I highly recommend you to contact HP for solid answers to your questions. We are not the best support resource in such hardware issues.

Hope them help!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:25 AM