none
DPM System Recovery Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install the DPM System Recovery Tool so that I can carry out BMR level protection on our Windows 2003 servers in our DPM 2010 environment.

I am at a loss for knowing how to do this as the documentation both through the help files and also the internet seems to be at best minimal.  Does anybody know where I can find a decent admin guide or web site that explains what to configure and how to carry out a BMR restore to a server using this utility?

I have looked on the Microsoft website, but in line with their help files, it is a small paragraph and does not go into any particular detail?

Thanks

Chris

Monday, January 9, 2012 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please keep in mind that SRT was a Sysinternals tool that has not been changed and\or revamped.  There has not been any documentation on it's deployment as more and more people choose to upgrade from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 or Windows 2008R2. 

The two primary gui interfaces for SRT is the:
    a.) Recovery Schedule Console
    b.) Recovery Center
    The Recovery Schedule Console is exactly what it’s name implies, a console to configure your Windows 2003 BMR recovery points.

The Recovery Center is where the recovery is done for the client itself.

The complete process involves the following:
    1.) Have a good Windows 2003 Recovery point
    2.) Create a boot DVD.
    3.) Boot the client via the boot DVD.
    4.) Go to the Recovery Center console to approve the recovery point.

Thanks,
    Shane

• Marked as answer by chris624 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• DPM 2010 does not support BMR for windows 2003.

SRT came only with DPM 2007 but take into consideration that SRT have a different recovery method from DPM which is using the ISO image.

Hopefully that help,

Laith

___________________________________________-

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer.

Monday, January 9, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi Laith

I understand that, but there is no detailed documentation on how to set up SRT to create a boot client.  Should I be scheduling this to run through the SRT scheduler or do I need to run it manually only when hardware changes?  Would I carry out the restore via the Recovery Centre or just use the boot client CD and do the rest with DPM 2010?  What do I need to set in the Recovery Sets option or do I just leave it as default?  These are just some of the questions I have that I cannot find on the web or supplied documentation.  If there is any useful admin guide or documentation it would help as what I have so far found seems to be very limited.

Thanks

Chris

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I had the same problem to restore a 2003 machine. what i did is that i created a server, restored system state to a network drive, restore the system state. Dont restart the machine. Restore the C to the C on the new machine and it was working fine.

During my last search i found the below blog that mentioned how to restore the BMR on windows 2003. Never test it but hopefully that it will work for you. The reason why you cannot find a document becaues now DPM2010 is using the WSB integrated in Windows Server 2008 and there is no need for the SRT.

http://www.ms4u.info/2010/12/bmr-on-windows-server-2003-using-dpm.html

Hope that helps,

Laith

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer

• Proposed as answer by Laith_IT Monday, January 16, 2012 6:50 PM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:43 PM
  • Hello,

Please keep in mind that SRT was a Sysinternals tool that has not been changed and\or revamped.  There has not been any documentation on it's deployment as more and more people choose to upgrade from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 or Windows 2008R2. 

The two primary gui interfaces for SRT is the:
    a.) Recovery Schedule Console
    b.) Recovery Center
    The Recovery Schedule Console is exactly what it’s name implies, a console to configure your Windows 2003 BMR recovery points.

The Recovery Center is where the recovery is done for the client itself.

The complete process involves the following:
    1.) Have a good Windows 2003 Recovery point
    2.) Create a boot DVD.
    3.) Boot the client via the boot DVD.
    4.) Go to the Recovery Center console to approve the recovery point.

Thanks,
    Shane

• Marked as answer by chris624 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Thanks Laith,

I'd already found that link which seems to be the most helpful one I found.  I know there is theoretically no need for SRT with DPM 2010, but as we still have a number of 2003 servers it is the only option for a BMR solution.

Thanks for your advice as well on restoring using system state and C drive - I have already done that, but wanted to avoid having to rebuild server from scratch!  At least I know I can get the server back one way or another anyway ;0)

Chris

• Edited by chris624 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Thanks Shane

I appreciate it is going to be less and less used, didn't realise it was originally Sysinternals!

Your steps do help as the procedural documentation is something that is lacking.  I will try this out and let you know how it goes,

Thanks again,

Chris

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Happy to help Chris.

Please let me know if you need any additional help!.

Laith.

If you found this helpful please mark it as an Answer

Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:37 PM