none
ID 31162 : Changing PS to another DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• I need to change a PS to another dpm 2012 and I receives this message "error" : ID 31162 - "One or more of the selected data sources are already configured for protection on the primary DPM server"

I have 2 dpm 2012 server, it have their own PS. I work with a shared library.

dpm1 server backups: DB, BRM and c:  from dpm2 server And dpm2 server backups: DB, BRM and c: from dpm1 server, i don't use the Protected Server to have a primary and secondary DPM servers.

I don't need to migrate the data.

I proceed like this :

• remove from dpm2 the ps from the pg with remove the data
    • remove the ps from dpm2 server with Remove-ProductionServer.ps1
    • run setdpmserver from the client to dpm server
    • add the server to dpm
    • Try to add the server to a existant PG with ID "error" : 31162 and I don't see the system protection\System State and system protection\BMR

What should I do to backups the server DPM1

thanks for the help

Eric

Monday, December 3, 2012 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What you actually have is cyclic protection, where each DPM server is protecting local data sources of the other DPM server.  This is equivalent to each DPM server capable of acting as secondary dpm server to each other, therefore, each DPM server knows about the each other protected servers also even though you are not actually secondarily protecting any.

We have customer facing documentation stating that moving a PS between DPM servers are not supported under that Scenario.

See COMMUNITY COMMENT under the following technet article:

Setting up DPM Chaining
     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Under the heading: "Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported"

If you call MS support, they can clean up secondary DPM server to allow that Protected Server to be re-protected. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What you actually have is cyclic protection, where each DPM server is protecting local data sources of the other DPM server.  This is equivalent to each DPM server capable of acting as secondary dpm server to each other, therefore, each DPM server knows about the each other protected servers also even though you are not actually secondarily protecting any.

We have customer facing documentation stating that moving a PS between DPM servers are not supported under that Scenario.

See COMMUNITY COMMENT under the following technet article:

Setting up DPM Chaining
     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Under the heading: "Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported"

If you call MS support, they can clean up secondary DPM server to allow that Protected Server to be re-protected. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:41 PM
  • thank for this answer .

Is there any solution to have this patch,withou calling ...

I 'm not sure that a have support for ms product like dpm ...

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately not, it is an unsupported scenario so the solution is undocumented. The solution entails running a custom SQL script based on your environment to allow moving the PS between DPM Servers.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:39 PM
  • OK, thanks

So two POSSIBILITY offer to me:

1. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808972.aspx      

2.Contact MS Support => Do you know the phone number or email that I can contact, knowing that my compagny is in Belgium.

if a understand the 1. I need to proceed like this :

dpm2 have the ps, i need to move to dpm1 :

Switch-Protection.ps1 -dpmservername dpm1 -psname PSComputername -protectiontype primary -username Administrator -password DomainPassword -domain NetBiosDomainName

i a'm not sure that a need to run this command :

Switch-Protection.ps1 -dpmservername dpm2 -psname PSComputername -protectiontype secondary -username administrator -password DomainPassword -domain NetBiosDomainName

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Hi,

In DPM 2010/2012, the switch protection is a GUI option, no need to run powershell script any longer.  just right-click the data source and select the option to "switch disaster protection".    Once switched that DPM server will do future recovery points, but that data source cannot be secondarily protected again.

To open a support incident - go to:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

In the Quick product finder, enter:

System Center 2012  - then select System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:56 PM
  • ok, i trie to use the switch disaster protection ...

but i my case it's not possible, the "option are not selectable"

his is perhaps because I have never defined the second server? I have always worked in "version" dpm server independent. as I said above, the first server backup server and some 2nd backup server to another server. between the dpm server, there is no "replication" of data

Friday, December 7, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

Right, as noted earlier, you just have cyclic protection of local DPM datasources, so you were never doing actual secondary protection, so the switch protection is not an option.  You need to call support and have them unblock you.  Have the DPM engineer reference ID 2507990.

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi Mike you might be able to help with me a similar issue. On our domain we have 3 DPM servers (each one used independently, with DPM SQL being backed up on each for DR) So right now our only secondary protection is for the DPM database....the issue we are running into though is when we remove a DPM server from the domain entirely (testing out DR scenario of losing DPM server) and we need to re-protect our Vm's and hypervisor BMR with a another DPM server. I have done just about everything with the agents possible (disable protection, uninstall, reinstall, setdpmserver to new DPM server and even use the -add modifier) but when I try to create a new protection group on the DPM server I do not have the option to select BMR under System Protection and when selecting I get error Id 31162 although the original DPM protecting the hypervisor no longer exists. So is there another entry somewhere forcing this to happen? We really need this functionality as DR is very important to us. Thanks in advance for any info....
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:38 PM