none
Can not export VM from Hyper-V host to the network share folder?!

Question

• Hi there,

I’m trying to export VM from our ‘old’ Hyper-V 2008 R2 server onto the ‘new’ 2012 one. Both Hyper-V hosts are in the same Active Directory domain. Since core editions don't have GUI I’m using Hyper-V Manager console on my workstation (Client1).

VM Export

As soon as I click ‘export’ button I have windows popup immediately with the error message: “Failed to create export directory… (0x80070005)”?!

export error

I have setup appropriate share and NTFS permission as recommended by this post:  “Error 0x80070005 when exporting Hyper-V VMs over the Network” (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008849). I even gave Client1 the same permission but still have the same error message?!  From Client1 or Server1 I can connect to the \\Server65\Export$ folder, can copy/delete/create folders and files without any problems. What I have missed?! Please help, thanks.

Monday, May 6, 2013 4:37 AM

All replies

• First - you cannot use admin shares in this case.

You must be using Hyper-V 2012.

You must have proper CredSSP setting on the remote server.  This is the exact same security settings if you were using the SMB3 share to store your VMs.

Hyper-V over SMB configuration with Windows Server 2012 - Step-by-step Installation using PowerShell

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, May 6, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Thanks Brian

First – ‘Export’ is a hidden share ($ sign makes it hidden)

Second – what do you mean by “You must be using Hyper-V 2012”?! Do you mean I have to use Hyper-V management console to manage 2012 Hyper-V host? But what is that to do with the exporting VMs from the ‘old’ 2008 Hyper-V host?!

Third – My PowerShell skills is not so great just yet, what is proper CredSSP setting on the remote server you're talking about?!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:29 AM
  • hyper-v 2012 supports exporting to a share that is properly configured through the feature called, shared nothing migration.  Hyper-v 2008 / R2 (technically) does not support this.

Hidden shares have never been supported.

CredSSP is all about setting up the permissions properly.  You are actually proxying your credentials as all that Hyper-v does happens in the system permissions, not the user performing the actions.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Thanks Brain for the clarification. ‘Export’ folder not hidden anymore – still the same error. Looking at your PowerShell ‘stuff’ I can see how you did setup SMB share first and then applied NTFS permission. Now, I’m trying to figure out how to do the same in my scenario.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Hi,

You may refer to following article to configure share folder permission then you can export VM over the network:

Error 0x80070005 when exporting Hyper-V VMs over the Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008849

When you export a virtual machine in Hyper-V manager, it is the System account of the Hyper-V host that executes the export. This problem occurs because the Hyper-V host does not have permission on the network share

To resolve this problem, ensure the permissions allow the Computer account of the Hyper-V host performing the Export to update the shared folder.

Updating the NTFS level permissions:

1.  On the destination server, Right-click on the shared folder and select Properties. 
    2.  Select the Security tab. 
    3.  Click Edit button and click the Add button in the permissions dialog box. 
    4.  Click Oject Types and select Computers if not already done and click OK
    5.  In the dialog "Enter the object names to select" provide the name of Hyper-V host machine and click Check Names
    6.  With the Hyper-V host machine name select, click Allow by "Full control" and click OK

Updating the share level permissions:

1.  On the destination server, Right-click on the shared folder and select Properties. 
    2.  Select the Sharing tab. 
    3.  Click Advanced Sharing...
    4.  On the Advanced Sharing dialog, click Permissions  and then Add.

5. Click Oject Types and select Computers if not already done and click OK
    6.  In the dialog "Enter the object names to select" provide the name of Hyper-V host machine and click Check Names
    7.  With the Hyper-V host machine name select, click Allow by "Full control" and click OK

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Exporting to / Importing from a network share [Hyper-V]
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/03/15/exporting-to-importing-from-a-network-share-hyper-v.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Additionally, there is a really easy-to-use free tool called VeeamZIP that might be useful in your case.

In many ways, it functions like a zip utility for VMs.  VeeamZIP is similar to full VM backup. Nevertheless, when you perform backup with VeeamZIP, there is no need to configure a backup job and schedule it; instead, the backup process for selected VMs can be started immediately.

Long story short, all you need to do it is to install corresponding software on client1 machine, add to backup console both of the hosts, then veeamzip given VM which resides on obsolete Windows 2008 host and then restore it to the new location (2012).

Kind regards, Leonardo Muller.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:20 AM
  • Thanks Brain for the clarification. ‘Export’ folder not hidden anymore – still the same error. Looking at your PowerShell ‘stuff’ I can see how you did setup SMB share first and then applied NTFS permission. Now, I’m trying to figure out how to do the same in my scenario.

Hi!

I used to mess around with this, until I found that it was easier to export the VM to a local folder on the Hyper-V server and then simply copy it to the desired location.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:45 AM
  • There are not enough space on Hyper-V host (Server1) to copy VM’s. I just can’t believe that such a simple task (coping files over the network) has to be so painful. While I’m still looking for more automated process on migrating VM’s from one Hyper-V host to another I don’t have any other choices as simply plug external USB hard drive and use it as ‘exporting’ media but this process is awfully slow.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Hi,

You may refer to following article to configure share folder permission then you can export VM over the network:

Error 0x80070005 when exporting Hyper-V VMs over the Network
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008849

When you export a virtual machine in Hyper-V manager, it is the System account of the Hyper-V host that executes the export. This problem occurs because the Hyper-V host does not have permission on the network share

To resolve this problem, ensure the permissions allow the Computer account of the Hyper-V host performing the Export to update the shared folder.

Updating the NTFS level permissions:

2.  Select the Security tab. 
    3.  Click Edit button and click the Add button in the permissions dialog box. 
    4.  Click Oject Types and select Computers if not already done and click OK
    5.  In the dialog "Enter the object names to select" provide the name of Hyper-V host machine and click Check Names
    6.  With the Hyper-V host machine name select, click Allow by "Full control" and click OK

Updating the share level permissions:

2.  Select the Sharing tab. 
    3.  Click Advanced Sharing...
    4.  On the Advanced Sharing dialog, click Permissions  and then Add.

5. Click Oject Types and select Computers if not already done and click OK
    6.  In the dialog "Enter the object names to select" provide the name of Hyper-V host machine and click Check Names
    7.  With the Hyper-V host machine name select, click Allow by "Full control" and click OK

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Exporting to / Importing from a network share [Hyper-V]
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/03/15/exporting-to-importing-from-a-network-share-hyper-v.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thanks Lawrence for your help. However I don’t see any value at your post, sorry. In my original post I have already mentioned that I have followed ‘steps’ from KB2008849 and it didn’t work for me. Why are you pointing at that direction again?! Or, that is your way of saying (RTFM) to read instruction more carefully because I have missed something?! In Ben Armstrong’s Virtualization Blog post, you’re referring to, he talks about using ‘local’ Hyper-V console, and in my case I’m using remote management tools

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:14 PM
  • There are not enough space on Hyper-V host (Server1) to copy VM’s.

As I’ve said previously, in our case we’re moving required VMs between hosts using aforesaid free tool.

So, in your case it doesn’t necessarily need to be a free space on Server1, just zip your VM to client1 machine or to whatever place you're willing to, and then restore it from there to the new location.

Really smooth process.

Thanks.  

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:40 AM
  • There are not enough space on Hyper-V host (Server1) to copy VM’s. I just can’t believe that such a simple task (coping files over the network) has to be so painful. While I’m still looking for more automated process on migrating VM’s from one Hyper-V host to another I don’t have any other choices as simply plug external USB hard drive and use it as ‘exporting’ media but this process is awfully slow.

Since you are migrating to a Hyper-V 2012 server, exporting is no longer necessary. You can copy the virtual machine folder straight to the new Hyper-V 2012 Server and perform an import. Exporting prior to import is no longer required on 2012.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Okay I know this is an old topic but I've searched through and hadn't found anyone with a solution so I figured I'd post mine.

The long and short of it seems to be that KB2008849 leaves out one crucial step: when you're updating the Share permissions in the Share tab you have to turn sharing on for Everyone. To do that, I did the following:

1) In the "Share" tab of the folder's properties, click the "Share..." button (NOT the Advanced Sharing... button)

2) Click "Share."

3) Go back to the "Advanced Sharing..." button and make sure it's being shared with the computer account still. When you look at the Permissions it should say that your host has full control AND that Everyone has full control.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:18 PM
  • It doesn't have to be "Everyone". It just has to include the computer account of the Hyper-V system. It doesn't have to be Full Control, either. It needs to be "Change" on the share. "Modify" on NTFS will do.

Source, uh, well, me: (step 5) http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/a-free-configurable-powershell-script-for-hyper-v-export/

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:26 PM
  • #1 You will need to share the folder.  Note: You cannot use administrative shares for this.  You can hide the share using the $ at the end, though.  Typically you can allow Everyone FULL CONTROL to the share which is not a security issue seeing as NTFS permissions should be used to lock this down (step #2).

#2 You will need to add the computer account with MODIFY permissions.  FULL CONTROL is not required.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 1:09 PM
  • "Everyone" in the windows world is not sufficient.  There was a point in time when "everyone" was equivalent to wide open, and that stopped being the case with Server 2008.

You still need the proper permissions as outlined in the guides reverences previously in the thread.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:27 PM
  • I dont even get an error, Nothing happens at all when I try to do it. Literally Nothing Happens when I click Export and Select the destination for export and press "Export" the dialog box closes and than ... nothing! No Status 1-100% and no error message.
    Monday, August 15, 2016 4:27 PM
  • But You have to got 2x more free space on You Hyper-V drive

:)

Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:47 AM
  • Id like to Thank Microsoft

Great Job

I CAN copy file to mapped network drive

but CANT Export-VM to it

LOL

Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:52 AM