Windows 7 black screen with curser when switching users/logging back in RRS feed

• Question

• First off i want to say i have had problems similar to this before.
    My last one was more than 6 months ago, where i would go to switch users, but the monitor would go to sleep. i fixed this by creating a new user, and moving all of my stuff. This was a PAIN, but it worked (although i really hope i don't have to do it again. I have ALLOT of files i need to move)
    Keep in mind that i can start up, and log in fine the first time, as is how i am typing this.
    Now i have a new problem. It started MAYBE a week ago (when i noticed it) and been a real pain ever since.
    My problem is probably a bunch rolled into one, but here it goes: It really started to get bad when i would right click something, or go file>save as, and then whatever i clicked would stay floating on the screen no matter what. "I have an idea" i said, "i will just switch users!" so i did, and there is a black screen for about 30-60 seconds, and then it goes to the login screen.
    But wait there's more! When I finally get to the log-in screen, the mouse doesn't work! "so what?" i say, "i will just use the arrow keys to log back in" so i navigate over, select my user, and when i log-in, ANOTHER BLACK SCREEN!! except this time there is just a floating mouse.
    I can move the mouse, but nothing else works. I tried hitting shift 5 times, and i hear the sound, but i don't see it. Now keep in mind, i have only left it there for maybe 30 minutes max, but as far as i can tell it's not changing anytime soon.
    Now i also tried switching users, and navigating to another account, but when i log in, the mouse still doesn't work!
    And the weirdest part, after being forced to restart my computer at least 5 times (trying to resolve the issue, and then testing to see if it fixed it) my computer started up, but it had weird green lines everywhere like my graphics card was artifacting. i logged on and shut down my computer that way, and then started it back up and the lines went away, but then windows said unable to boot, and insisted to restore from 3/1/2012, so i did, but it didn't fix it.
    Additional info:
    -i am 16 but i consider myself to be really good with computers, but this one has me baffled.
    -I have a large ammount of files (nuke/after effects projects, 3d models, etc.)
    -my sistem specs are
      +msi 880g-e45=motherbored
      +galaxy gts 450=GPU
      +amd phenom II x4 840=CPU
      +8 gb RAM
    Also my latest system restore points are as follows:
    -3/1-installed directX
    -3/1-istalled Rapport
    -2/27-Windows update (critical)
    This is a family computer, so switching users is CRUCIAL on a daily basis.
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:22 AM

Answers

• You might get some benefit from running powercfg -energy

This can tell you if there is something causing power management issues.  Do you see this issue when the machine is freshly booting?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Marked as answer by tracycai Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:30 PM

All replies

• You might get some benefit from running powercfg -energy

This can tell you if there is something causing power management issues.  Do you see this issue when the machine is freshly booting?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Marked as answer by tracycai Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:30 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem with my Windows 7 computer recently. After some investigation i found that a new version of Google Chrome was installed just before the problem started. After deinstalling Google Chrome, the problem disappeared.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:34 AM