none
DPM 2010 - Backup of DPM server using DPMBackup.exe -db failing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to backup my DPM 2010 DB using DPMBackup.exe.  The server has a local install of SQL.

Initially I ran the following command line:

DPMBackup.exe -db 

This failed with the message "invalid command -db"

I then ran the following command:

DPMBackup.exe -db -InstanceName MSSQLSERVER. 

I got the instance name from the registry - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DB.  However this failed with the message "Failed to connect to server <OurServerName>\MSSQLSERVER" 

I then tried:

DPMBackup.exe -db -InstanceName MSSQLSERVER -targetLocation <path to network share>

But got the same error again.

What am I doing wrong?  I have tried doing this while logged onto the DPM server as my own, domain admin account and also as the DPM administrative account that was used to install both DPM and SQL.  I'm also choosing 'Run as Administrator' when I open the Command Prompt.

All that is appearing the the Application Event Log of the server is the following error:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSDPM
    Date:          22/02/2012 16:11:37
    Event ID:      999
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      XXX.XXX.com
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'DpmBackup'.  Restart the DPM process 'DpmBackup'.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ros

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Ros,

I managed to install a DPM into a local SQL instance (MSSQLSERVER) and I was able to backup the DPM database.

This was the syntax you need to use:

dpmbackup -db -instancename (local)

You need to use (local) because it is a default instance.

If your DPM was intalled on its default location, the backup will be created under

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups

You also need to give the service account SQL server is running under full control to that folder.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by Rossyd75 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:39 AM

All replies

• Ok so it looks like when you installed DPM you already had SQL installed.

Instance MSSQLSERVER means that you are using SQL Default instance.

See if you can backup this way:  DPMBACKUP -DB -instancename <YOUR_DPM_SERVER_NAME>

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Hi Wilson,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.

I tried what you suggested and ran the command: dpmbackup -db -instancename servername

But it failed with the error: Error: Failed to connect to server SERVERNAME\servername.

I've also tried running the command with:

-instancename local

-instancename .

-instancename .\

But these all failed to connect too.

Any further help or suggestions you could offer me would be very gratefully received.

Thanks again,

Ros.

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hello again,

Can anyone provide me with further assistance with this issue?

Ros

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Let me know if this works for you.

1. Open DPM Shell our PowerShell

2. Run this (if you run from DPMShell you might get an error. Just ignore the error)

add-pssnapin sqlservercmdletsnapin100

3. Run this:

Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance <dpmservername> -Database dpmdb -Query "select @@version"
    Let me know what you get as output from step 3

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Hi Wilson,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me again, I really do appreciate it.

The output I get from the PowerSehll command is:

Column1
    -------
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64) ...

Thanks again,

Ros

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same issue... => -targetLocation can only be used on the "local" server and can't be a network location....

You have to do it locally and then robocopy it to a network location

DPMBACKUP.EXE /? => It's explained
    • Edited by IcemanTH Friday, March 2, 2012 12:30 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hi IcemanTH,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but my issue is not with the -targetlocation switch not working, it's with the fact that I can't get the DPM server to back itself up at all as it can't connect to the SQL instance.

Wilson - are you still there?  Have you had a chance to revisit this issue since I ran the PowerShell command you requested a few days ago?

Many thanks,

Ros

Friday, March 2, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi Ros,

I managed to install a DPM into a local SQL instance (MSSQLSERVER) and I was able to backup the DPM database.

This was the syntax you need to use:

dpmbackup -db -instancename (local)

You need to use (local) because it is a default instance.

If your DPM was intalled on its default location, the backup will be created under

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups

You also need to give the service account SQL server is running under full control to that folder.

Let me know if that works for you.

• Marked as answer by Rossyd75 Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:39 AM
  • Hi Wilson,

That worked!  Thank you so so much for all your help with this issue.  I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Ros

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:48 AM