none
Error when importing GPO into SCM RRS feed

• Question

• I have backed up a gpo from our AD DS. When I import it into SCM I receive this error:

The output char buffer is too small to contain the decoded characters, encoding 'Unicode (UTF-8)' fallback 'System.Text.DecoderReplacementFallback'.
    Parameter name: chars

I can press OK on a button and then SCM reports that GPO was successfully imported, but when I open the imported GPO, not all settings are there.

Any suggestions for a solution would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Klaus

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:31 AM

Answers

• Klaus;

Thanks for sending us the GPO, you’ve run into 2 issues with SCM, the first is obscuring the second.

The first issue is that some of the firewall rules in your GPO are very long, the GPO import process fails when it runs into these, to make matters worse, SCM doesn’t skip over these firewall rules, instead it terminates the import process completely.

The second issue, which you haven’t seen yet since your GPO won’t import, is that SCM does not support some types of group policy settings including firewall rules. This isn’t a bug, it’s a feature that we have not had time to implement and test, we hope to at some point in the future but I’m not sure when we will be able to. The way SCM is supposed to handle unsupported settings like this is to import them and retain them with the baseline but block editing of them. These unsupported settings should be present in any GPOs you export from the baseline. But as explained above, the 1st problem is preventing this behavior.

I think you could try a couple of work-arounds to deal with this:
    1.Make a copy of the GPO, in 1 version remove the firewall rules and import this GPO into SCM. In the 2nd GPO remove the settings that aren’t firewall rules.
    2.Leave the GPO in Active Directory and don’t try to manage it in SCM.

I think #1 is best, it gives you more flexibility, but it does require extra work for you and your team. We apologize that you’ve run into these issues, we will try to resolve them in a future release of SCM. Thank you very much for contacting us, if you have other questions or suggestions please let us know.

Regards,

Kurt

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:24 PM

All replies

• Klaus;

Did you already email the GPO to use at secwish@microsoft.com? If you did, we'll take a look and see if we can figure out what's going on, if not please attach the GPO to an email message and send to us at your soonest convenience.

Kurt

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Klaus;

Thanks for sending us the GPO, you’ve run into 2 issues with SCM, the first is obscuring the second.

The first issue is that some of the firewall rules in your GPO are very long, the GPO import process fails when it runs into these, to make matters worse, SCM doesn’t skip over these firewall rules, instead it terminates the import process completely.

The second issue, which you haven’t seen yet since your GPO won’t import, is that SCM does not support some types of group policy settings including firewall rules. This isn’t a bug, it’s a feature that we have not had time to implement and test, we hope to at some point in the future but I’m not sure when we will be able to. The way SCM is supposed to handle unsupported settings like this is to import them and retain them with the baseline but block editing of them. These unsupported settings should be present in any GPOs you export from the baseline. But as explained above, the 1st problem is preventing this behavior.

I think you could try a couple of work-arounds to deal with this:
    1.Make a copy of the GPO, in 1 version remove the firewall rules and import this GPO into SCM. In the 2nd GPO remove the settings that aren’t firewall rules.
    2.Leave the GPO in Active Directory and don’t try to manage it in SCM.

I think #1 is best, it gives you more flexibility, but it does require extra work for you and your team. We apologize that you’ve run into these issues, we will try to resolve them in a future release of SCM. Thank you very much for contacting us, if you have other questions or suggestions please let us know.

Regards,

Kurt

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Hi

I've the same Problems with some of my GPOs. May there be a fix with a larger Buffer? May I also Mail you my GPOs?

Best Regards,

Andreas Erber

Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Hello.

Are there a complete list of settings that SCM is unable to manage?

I get the error even when when I dont have any Firewall settings configured. The GPO Im trying to import is quite big so there might be other stuff thats causing this problem but it would take forever to narrow down what settings that cause this issue.

toxaris

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:00 AM