none
2007 Project % complete issues and resource % over 100% RRS feed

• Question

•  Sorry- Second problem this week ( and I did goto a 3 day class) Any idea why:

First their percentage complete in some items shows one thing on the front page and when you open the task up it shows a different percent. 

Second issues is the resources are adding up to over 100% which I thought that wasn’t allowed so I can’t explain why it is doing it?

Sorry, its just getting so frustrating and have deadlines. Appreciate anything and everything!   Kelle

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:29 PM

Answers

• To you first point - I m not sure what you are looking at, but I assume that what you see in the Table as % could be Physical % Complete, but when you double click task and go on General Tab - it shows % Complete. Which may or may not be equal.

Secondly, this is the normal behavior of the tasks. There are 3 types of tasks - Fixed Work, Fixed Duration and Fixed Units.

Based on task type [which can be either of 3] other 2 factors get adjusted if there is change in either of 3 factors.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/change-the-task-type-project-uses-to-calculate-task-duration-HP010092039.aspx 

In a If you revise units  If you revise duration If you revise work
    Fixed units task Duration is recalculated. Work is recalculated. Duration is recalculated.
    Fixed work task Duration is recalculated. Units are recalculated. Duration is recalculated.
    Fixed duration task  Work is recalculated. Work is recalculated. Units are recalculated.

Sapna S
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Kelle,

You have not provided adequate details so that anyone could suggest anything specific.

When you said 'their' which object you are refering to? what is front page and how do you open a task? Please clarify in detail, are you talking about some view? or task %? or resource assignment %?

When you say resource are adding up to 100%, does it mean units? By default MS Project keeps 100% as the unit for Work type resources. Please provide details with appropriate terms so that we can help you.

Sapna S
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

As Sapna says, your first statement is hard to understand thus also to answer.

As for the second, IT is not adding up to over 100%YOU are dding tasks overloading the reosurces.

Look up the help about Resource Leveling to see how Project may be able to help you straighten that out.

Greetings,

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:35 PM
  • When you open the IMS (project) on the screen there is a column that says % of work complete for each task.  On line 63 on the main page it says 83% complete but when you click on the task and open it and go on the general tab on that page it shows only 51% complete.  Why does it does this?

Second one,  when you click on line 67 task and open it, you go to the resource tab and it will show 3 people and their resource level will added up together to over 100%, and if you change any of their percentage it will either adjust one of the other peoples resources % or the length of the task why is it doing that?

Did that help?

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:38 PM
  • To you first point - I m not sure what you are looking at, but I assume that what you see in the Table as % could be Physical % Complete, but when you double click task and go on General Tab - it shows % Complete. Which may or may not be equal.

Secondly, this is the normal behavior of the tasks. There are 3 types of tasks - Fixed Work, Fixed Duration and Fixed Units.

Based on task type [which can be either of 3] other 2 factors get adjusted if there is change in either of 3 factors.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/change-the-task-type-project-uses-to-calculate-task-duration-HP010092039.aspx 

In a If you revise units  If you revise duration If you revise work
    Fixed units task Duration is recalculated. Work is recalculated. Duration is recalculated.
    Fixed work task Duration is recalculated. Units are recalculated. Duration is recalculated.
    Fixed duration task  Work is recalculated. Work is recalculated. Units are recalculated.

Sapna S
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:11 PM