App-V Reporting: Start to Finish and Back Again RRS feed

All replies

• Hey,

For the setup have you checked out Ingmars blog post: http://www.ingmarverheij.com/app-v-5-0-reporting-server-missing-prerequisites/

Also when you say you don't see anything can you be more specific? Are you going into SQL Reporting Services and running reports\queries?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:47 PM
  • I have not.  Today I've been attempting to divine exactly where SSRS should be installed.  On the Reporting Server or on the SQL Server (or can it be installed somewhere else?)

Is it just me or does this aspect of App-V seem tragically undocumented?

d

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Hello,

SSRS isn't an App-V component, so I wouldn't expect to find howto install it among the App-V documentation.

See these installation topics for SSRS;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143736(v=sql.105).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522676(v=sql.105).aspx

I am sure there are other step-by-step guides for SSRS, but these guides offers an overview of the decisions necessary to be made for a setup.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:53 AM
  • I sort of agree.  It's obviously quite easy to find instructions on installing and setting up SSRS.  What seems to be impossible to find is how SSRS integrates with App-V.  Where do I install SSRS?  How do I use it to generate shiny reports that make management happy?

d

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:56 AM
  • I don't mean to seem condescending when I say this. But have you used SSRS before? A lot of people haven't, lots just run Queries in other ways to generate reports. Once you've got SSRS setup, you'll see how it integrates with App-V. It's a much more visual, UI driven means of running reports.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:34 PM
  • No offense taken and absolutely spot on.  No, I have never used SSRS.  What I'm hearing you say then is that SSRS is just a tool to create reports with, that the App-V Reporting Server itself does not come with any cool predefined reports which are accessible through SSRS.  If that's the case then I can use and existing SSRS and create new reports from the App-V database.

That would explain a lot.  Thanks.

d

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:02 PM
  • I wish I could show you the report I generated in a couple of hours......wow.......that is a powerful tool.

d

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:31 PM
  • I wish I could show you the report I generated in a couple of hours......wow.......that is a powerful tool.

d

... so, there is your new report (and report definition!) on the one hand, and there is your new blog spot on the other hand... now what? ;-)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Monday, October 21, 2013 6:04 PM