none
PWA automatically sets 8h of work independently of the duration that is entered RRS feed

• Question

• As PM, when adding a task in PWA, PWA automatically sets 8h of work independently of the duration that is entered.
    It may end up with planned hours of for example 0.53h per day.
    Is there a way to change this setting, at the instance or project level? What is the default value in PWA?

Dolly Pandey

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Dolly,

First please pardon me in case I am wrong in my understanding also please mention your environment details. Now let me try to answer and resolve your query.

Project Server by default puts 8 hours per day with 40 Hrs in a week and 20 days in month that setting you can alter from MS Project 2010 for a particular project level or for all new Projects (Considering MS Project 2010) .

You have to go to "File ->Options-> Schedule" as shown below have to select Project Name from "Calendar option for this Project".

By this way rest of all the Projects having Enterprise Calendars will respect your Project Server default working times.

Also can you please be more specific on "It may end up with planned hours of for example 0.53h per day."

Thanks and let me know in case have any doubts.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:23 AM
  • Sachin,

Thank You for your attempt. Let me put my question in a different way here.

I have Project server 2010 environment

The problem is more with the work assigned to the resource for each day. Duration is not really the issue here. It is more like when am creating my project plan from PWA>Project Center instead of MS Project.

When i say "It may end up with planned hours of for example 0.53h per day", it automatically captures the duration as of the availability for the day calculating from the time i have created the task. For example, if it has to be for 2 days, and I am creating it say as around sometime in the afternoon, it will take the duration as 1.5 days.

I hope I elaborated pretty much as per what the problem is.

--

Best Regards,

Dolly Pandey

Dolly Pandey

Friday, January 17, 2014 6:59 AM
  • Hi Dolly,

I'm not sure I got it right, but I'll give a try!

When creating a new task in PWA, a duration of 1 day will be set by default. Let's say 8h depending on your calendar.

Then a lot of parameters can influence the duration. For instance if you create a constraint on the finish date of a fixed duration task, then create a dependency, the duration might change accordingly. 

Another case is if the predecessor ends in the middle of the day (1pm), then your task will have half a day on the first day and continue on the next day.

Can you give us a detailed scenario, even screenshots so you could help you better?

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Friday, January 17, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Agree with Guillaume, also can you check is it happening with particular project or all the Project in your environment. Also it is happening for particular day in week or all working day.

Then please check your enterprise calendar assigned to that Project. Check under work weeks that you may have defined only half day as working day in case happening for particular day or half days for all working days in that calendar.

Also detailed screen shot of your problematic Project Plan and Calendar would really help us to get into conclusion.

Thanks !!! 

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:15 AM