none
"Windows Explorer has stopped working" when attempting to get a llist of available updates. RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a fully patched version of Windows 7 Professional.

When I'm running Windows Update, I get to the window that lists the updates that are available, e.g. "3 optional updates are available, 2 important update are available," or whatever.

If I then click on one of those links to get a list of what the updates are, Windows Explorer crashes. Every single time. It gives the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working."

I have tried running in Safe mode, except Windows Update doesn't run in Safe mode so that's no help.

I've tried setting up a clean boot. That didn't help.

I've scanned for viruses with a couple of different anti-virus/malware products. Nothing found.

I've run sfc /scannnow. It found no errors.

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following method, it helped many of us today:

Found this on the other thread "Windows Installer Crash" posted by dalejr33. Resolved the issue for me as well:

start regedit

navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

rename MachineThrottling to _MachineThrottling

Note: Please be careful while working in the registry. Make sure you create a backup of Registry before you proceed.

You can also get Windows Update working again by using System Restore to go back several restore points.

In addition, for windows explorer issue, please refer to this article.

The Windows Explorer or the File Explorer in the Windows operating system, helps us browse our files, folders and other data on our computer. You may face a problem at some point of time when you find that your Windows Explorer crashes or freezes frequently. Additionally, you may also receive the following message:

Fix: Windows explorer crashes or freezes

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-explorer-crashes-freezes

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Also, if the error persists I might suggest to capture a user mode dump of the Explorer crash which has the potential to pinpoint the cause.

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file (save with the .reg extension and give it any name such as dump.reg), then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]
    "DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\
    00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site?

Here's a link on using OneDrive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/onedrive/share-file-folder

More info on collecting user-mode dumps:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181(VS.85).aspx

To stop the creation of the user mode dump files run the following registry file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

You can delete the C:\CrashDumps folder anytime.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:32 PM