none
Java Endpoint Cleanup Component RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm attempting to implement a basic endpoint download policy for MAC and Linux clients which checks for the attachment wiper being present and running along with anti virus software. The clients are reporting back to both our IAG and UAG systems that the attachment wiper isn't running.

It does appear however that the attachment wiper is in fact running on the client as session cookies are removed when the session ends after hitting logout on the portal.

Can anyone help with this? I'm getting a bit of grief as to why MAC and Linux users can't download attachments from their emails.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:58 PM

Answers

• This is going to be fixed with an imminent hotfix which is under testing at the moment.

• Marked as answer by Mahilu Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Mahilu,

Are you using the GUI tool to create the Policy for MAC?  Try creating another policy and convert it to a script.

(  (  (  ( Mac_eGapComponents_AttachmentWiper_Installed AND Mac_eGapComponents_AttachmentWiper_Running )  )  )  )

Thank you
    Dennis Lee

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Yeah I usually make the policies in script form. I find it easier to understand for some reason! :)

I just made a new policy with your suggested content and it is just the same. This is to an Ubuntu 11 machine to our old IAG. The same conditions exist on our UAG array though. It is definitely using the policy as it is displaying the error message I specified.

What it says on System Information is the following:

Whale Component Manager                  Not Installed
    Endpoint Detection                              (Ticked) (4.0.0.1)
    SSL Wrapper                                       N/A
    Socket Forwarder                                 LSP: N/A NSP: N/A
    Network Connector                               Client: N/A Driver: N/A
    Attachment Wiper                                (Crossed) (4.0.0.1) Not Running

Anti-virus                                           Clamav Version: N/A (Updated 7/20/2011)
    Personal Firewall                                 IPTables 1
    Operating System                               Linux
    Browser Version                                  Mozilla Firefox 5.0
    User Agent                                         Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
    Sun JRE Version                                 1.6.0_22
    Domain                                              N/A
    Certified Endpoint                               (Crossed)
    Privileged Endpoint                             (Crossed)

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Hi Mahilu--

You got me stumped.   It looks like UAG is detecting the software.  There is 1 more thing you can do, go to the UAG Web Monitor, find the user under active sessions >> Session ID >> Parameters.

Under Parameters look for the following:

For Example (going by my original post)

Mac_eGapComponents_AttachmentWiper_Installed 

does it say True or False?  etc...

At the core, this is how the UAG/IAG endpoint detection determines if a user can do something or not..

Thank you
    Dennis Lee

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. Unfortunately I don't have access to a MAC so I'm doing the testing on Ubuntu Linux 11 with Firefox - however the behaviour is the same on MAC clients apparently and it would appear to be the same when using the Java applet on Windows / Firefox.

The Parameter output for the session is:

Linux_eGapComponents_AttachmentWiper_Installed Policy False 
    Linux_eGapComponents_AttachmentWiper_Running Policy False 
    Linux_eGapComponents_AttachmentWiper_Version Policy 4, 0, 0, 1 
    Linux_eGapComponents_EndpointDetection_Running Policy TRUE 
    Linux_eGapComponents_EndpointDetection_Version Policy 4, 0, 0, 1 

Unless I'm reading this wrong the system information is saying the attachment wiper is installed but not running and the parameters section thinks that it's neither installed nor running?

Very confusing and causing no end of bother trying to explain to people why they can't download their attachments.

Cheers

Friday, July 22, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Hi Mahilu,

Your right, your detection policy for linux only shows that it found that an endpoint detection is running and doesnt know about attachment wiper.

Open UAG >> Configuration >> Session >> Default & Privleged Session Settings >> ensure the checkbox for "Activate Endpoint Session Cleanup component" is clicked.

Thanks

Dennis Lee

Friday, July 22, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

I can confirm the Activate Endpoint Session Cleanup component is ticked. it wasn't for Priviliged sessions but I did that but no change.

Cheers

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:26 AM
  • Mahilu,

I think you have no option but to disable endpoint detection for Linux and Mac until you can resolve your issue.   Also given what you should me about your policies, it might be worth thinking about changing it to see if endpoint components are running, instead of attachment wiper.

Thats only to get around the issue but the bigger problem is that attachment wiper itself isnt being detected.  

You should consider contacting Microsoft at this point.

Thanks and GL!

Dennis Lee

Monday, July 25, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Yeah I've just put a support call in regarding this and was told I'm not the only one who has reported it. Lets hope someone can figure out what the deal is and come up with a fix.

In the meantime I'll just have to deny MAC and Linux users access as the nature of the work some of them do they do is too sensitive to have no cleanup after their session.

It would be nice if the technical documentation on Technet didn't say it supported these OS - then I could just wave that at the bosses but unfortunately it does say it works and they've seen the document :(

Thanks a lot for your time on this.

If I do get a fix I'll post it.

Cheers

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:31 AM
  • This is going to be fixed with an imminent hotfix which is under testing at the moment.

• Marked as answer by Mahilu Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Any update on this hotfix.  I am having the exact same issue on both MAC and Ubuntu.  PS:I can test on both platforms.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:46 PM
  • I've got the fix and it seems to have done the trick for me.

I don't know if it's available yet though through Technet or wherever.

I wouldn't want to give you something which isn't fully tested or approved for installation yet. I think there was talk of it being in the next SP for UAG though.

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:30 AM