Settings app crashes after few secs RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya all

Trying to run the "Settings" app, however it crashes out after 5 secs or so.

Have installed 10074 (TP2) on a new VM from scratch (format disk) - TP1 was OK. Is running VMWare Player 7.1 and latest tools.

Created a secondary user acct with admin privs (as Spartan, Store, etc complain about running as original administrator) - same deal unfortunately (but Store and Spartan load OK)..

On another issue, have tried to also run Windows Update via PSWindowsUpdate scripts and while one KB downloads OK, the other 3 fail as well.

ie. KB3061186, KB3061161 and  KB3062282

Any ideas?

Thanks

Richard

Melbourne AU

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:10 AM

Answers

• The Settings app startup problem has been identified and fixed, but unfortunately it's too involved to service for the TP2 build (there is a further layer of changes required). It'll be addressed in the next TP build. Our apologies for this experience.

Regards,

Tom Jolly

Group Software Engineering Manager Windows Server High Availability & Storage team

• Edited by Tom Jolly [MSFT] Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jessicu Monday, June 8, 2015 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:44 PM

All replies

• Same issue here with settings crashing, not sure how we are supposed to access windows update. I upgraded my technical preview from 1 to 2 though.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:34 AM
  • Same here. Installed Server Preview 2 as VM on Hyper-V of Win 10 Enterprise 10074.

Created a new admin user.  Running a windows update power shell script (COM object based) as admin found and installed 4 updates. Rebooted. Settings app still crashes. No more updates found.

The update script is here: http://www.gregorystrike.com/2011/04/07/force-windows-automatic-updates-with-powershell/

App event log errors

Source "Apps" ID 5973: Activation of app windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Source "Application Error" ID 1000:

Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ad22e
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ad776
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x000000000040d664
    Faulting process id: 0xdbc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d087371adaeadc
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: c5e47c38-851d-4d88-9441-df8721a358bc
    Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

-- SvenC

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:35 PM
  • I also have crashes on opening personalise from desktop, to change theme, along with the problems mentioned in the first post. I managed to log on to Windows Store and install some apps. PDF function of Edge (aka Project Spartan) refuses to load. I have managed to update using Command Prompt. Maybe the installation is corrupted, maybe they are some new restrictions that can be controlled through gpedit.msc . Skype for desktop also does not work, it says cookies need to be enabled, that I can not see in Internet Options anymore. We would need some detailed documentation regarding those changes and others.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:11 PM
  • Hi folks,

Thanks for reporting this,  I see the same problem.  Sorry about the bad experience here.

We're looking into it and will get back with an update as soon as we have something.

Regards,

Tom

Regards, Tom Jolly --- Development Manager Windows Remote File Systems Team

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:39 PM
  • Hiya again

Thanks for the replies..

Have tried the other WSUS.ps1 script and rerun the PSWindowsUpdate ones (e.g. Get-WUInstall -Verbose -AcceptAll) again and still only install the Windows Defender Definition Update ones

PS C:\Temp> .\wsus.ps1
    Searching for applicable updates...

List of applicable items on the machine:
    1> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061186)
    2> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061161)
    3> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062282)
    4> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062095)
    5> Security Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062260)
    6> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.197.1582.0)

Downloading Updates...
    Would you like to install these updates now? (Y/N): Y

Installing Updates...

List of Updates Installed with Results:
    Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.197.1582.0): 2

Installation Result: 2
        Reboot Required: False

then rerun this and the other one:

PS C:\Temp> Get-WUInstall -Verbose -AcceptAll
    VERBOSE: Connecting to Windows Update server. Please wait...
    VERBOSE: Found [5] Updates in pre search criteria
    VERBOSE: Found [5] Updates in post search criteria

X Status     KB          Size Title
    - ------     --          ---- -----
    2 Accepted   KB3061186   2 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061186)
    2 Accepted   KB3061161   9 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061161)
    2 Accepted   KB3062282  11 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062282)
    2 Accepted   KB3062095  14 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062095)
    2 Accepted   KB3062260 256 KB Security Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062260)
    VERBOSE: Accept [5] Updates to Download
    3 Failed     KB3061186   2 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061186)
    3 Failed     KB3061161   9 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061161)
    3 Failed     KB3062282  11 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062282)
    3 Failed     KB3062095  14 MB Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062095)
    3 Failed     KB3062260 256 KB Security Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062260)
    VERBOSE: Downloaded [0] Updates to Install

So it likes some style of updates but not others..

Thanks again

Richard

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:29 AM
  • I have used power shell to install the latest updates but I am concerned that I cannot access settings such as display that have been fully migrated from the control panel. Is there a fix coming?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:03 PM
  • Skype installed from the Windows Store refuses to load as well. I can not use Internet Explorer to sign in certain websites, due tot the cookies issue. Java does not run in Edge (Spartan) and on Internet Explorer crashes, so I removed it. I have managed to change the them clicking the Aero theme file from Windows/Resources/Themes, it opened the personalise section of Control Panel. I can not edit the registry, I wanted to do that to enable the Control Panel old style Windows Update, I can not do it. Windows Server Antimalware can not be accessed, I need to search it in Start Menu or go to Program Files/Windows Defender. Definitions can de updated on the program itself, I suggest for others with similar issues to do that, and update, for now, using the sconfig command in Command Prompt for the rest of the updates.
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 6:49 AM
  • Hi All

Thank you for letting us know, we’re very sorry for any inconvenience.  We are still working on the release of a fix for the Settings App.  There is a known issue with Windows Update in TP2 and a workaround is documented in the release notes found here (located under the “Updates” heading) using sconfig.exe.

Regards,
    Shawn Lucas - Senior Engineering Manager Windows Server Update Services

Friday, May 8, 2015 4:36 AM
  • You mean updating using sconfig, through Command Prompt?
    Friday, May 8, 2015 6:35 AM
  • Yes, the release notes offer up the workaround of using sconfig.exe on the command line, and choosing option 6.  Copied here for your reference:

"...To apply updates to Windows Server Technical Preview, open a command prompt and run Sconfig.exe. In Sconfig, select Option 6, “Download and Install Updates.” Windows Update will scan the system and query the update location you have configured with either Windows Update or Windows Server Update Server, and then install any new updates."

Regards,

Friday, May 8, 2015 8:21 PM
  • Hi all

Thanks for your responses etc.

Still cant get the updates to apply (other than definition updates via SCONFIG, have rebooted etc.. 

Search for for (A)ll updates or (R)ecommended updates only? A

Searching for all applicable updates...

List of applicable items on the machine:

1> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061186)
    2> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3061161)
    3> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062282)
    4> Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062095)
    5> Security Update for Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (KB3062260)

Select an option:
    (A)ll updates, (N)o updates or (S)elect a single update? A

Downloading updates...

Installing updates...

Listing of updates installed and individual installation results:

I get the dialog box:

"A restart is required to complete Windows Updates. Restart now?"

I restart, but get the same results again.. endless loop..

And the PS scripts above still give the same response (5 updates that fail to install)

Has something got caught up somewhere perhaps?

Regards

Richard

Melbourne AU

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:24 AM
  • Skype installed from the Windows Store refuses to load as well. I can not use Internet Explorer to sign in certain websites, due tot the cookies issue. Java does not run in Edge (Spartan) and on Internet Explorer crashes, so I removed it. I have managed to change the them clicking the Aero theme file from Windows/Resources/Themes, it opened the personalise section of Control Panel. I can not edit the registry, I wanted to do that to enable the Control Panel old style Windows Update, I can not do it. Windows Server Antimalware can not be accessed, I need to search it in Start Menu or go to Program Files/Windows Defender. Definitions can de updated on the program itself, I suggest for others with similar issues to do that, and update, for now, using the sconfig command in Command Prompt for the rest of the updates.

That's a good summary of the issues I'm having as well
    Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:48 PM
  • There doesn't seem to be an sconfig.exe

Try running sconfig.cmd and select option 6

Mark Wilson

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 10:34 PM
  • Hi Richard, it may be helpful to look at your Windows Update log to get more details.  The new Windows Update logs are written using Event Tracing for Windows (ETW).  Can you follow the instructions found here to view the log? 

Regards,

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 5:13 AM
  • The Settings app startup problem has been identified and fixed, but unfortunately it's too involved to service for the TP2 build (there is a further layer of changes required). It'll be addressed in the next TP build. Our apologies for this experience.

Regards,

Tom Jolly

Group Software Engineering Manager Windows Server High Availability & Storage team

• Edited by Tom Jolly [MSFT] Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jessicu Monday, June 8, 2015 2:56 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Sconfig.cmd works in cmd prompt/
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:31 PM

Regards,

Tom Jolly

I tried out TP3 today, and had this same issue. The setting app (immersive control panel) crashes when I go to certain places. Just going to certain places in the settings causes the app to crash. It's consistent. It crashes only at certain places, and crashes every time, no exception. It does not crash at any other place. It's not just a few places. It's too many, to the point where the OS in not usable. I can get to most settings with the regular control panel, sconfig and the server manager, but a big chunk of settings is unavailable to me. It was like this right from the installation. Installed updates (there was only 1 - besides Defender definition update), no help.
    Monday, August 24, 2015 1:27 PM