none
All work variance is set to 0hrs RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

I'm hoping this is an easy one.

I have a project in PS 2010, for which I have a Baseline.  When I look at the Task Work view in the schedule in Project Center all of the work variance columns are 0h, even though there are differences between some of my Actual Work and Baseline Work values.

Anything obvious I am missing?

Thanks,

Lee

Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Lee,

okay, the 1st thing to do is to get Project Pro and PWA datat the same - I would do the following.

1. Delete the local project cache.

2. Make sure there are no pending updates for the Project

3. Open the Project in Project Pro.

4. Publish the Project - ensure there are no Q failures.

5. If the data is not the same between the Pro and PWA, you have publishing issues...

Assuming it is the same, you should be able to troubleshoot the actuals and variances.... 

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

• Marked as answer by Lee Stokes Friday, October 5, 2012 9:29 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:11 AM

All replies

• Sorry, version is 14.0.6126.5001.

Thanks,

Lee

Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:56 PM
  • The work variance does not look at actual work, rather (planned) work  which is (actual + remaining).

So work variance = baseline work - (actual work + remaining work).  If you have not amended remaining work, then the variance will be zero.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response.

So, in my example, on task has 4 hrs Baseline work.  There has been 6hrs booked against the task, and so the remaining work = 0 hrs, but the work variance is still 0 hrs.

Surely it should be -2?

Thanks,

Lee

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Lee, I would agree with you, though the variance would be +2  (you have spend 2 hours more...)

I need to offer this up to others...!

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Lee, one quick question - what does the work variance look like in Project Professional? Is the Actual Work figure as published in PWA what you would expect? And the Baseline Work figure?

Graham

Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Hi Graham,

Yes, the actuals and baseline in PWA are correct.

Project Professional is not showing the actuals though!! 

I've just tried the "Sync to Protected Actuals" in Professional, and the actuals are still not showing.

Thanks,

Lee

• Edited by Lee Stokes Friday, October 5, 2012 8:03 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hi Lee,

okay, the 1st thing to do is to get Project Pro and PWA datat the same - I would do the following.

1. Delete the local project cache.

2. Make sure there are no pending updates for the Project

3. Open the Project in Project Pro.

4. Publish the Project - ensure there are no Q failures.

5. If the data is not the same between the Pro and PWA, you have publishing issues...

Assuming it is the same, you should be able to troubleshoot the actuals and variances.... 

• Marked as answer by Lee Stokes Friday, October 5, 2012 9:29 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hi Ben,

That did the trick.  Looks like my local cache was the issue.

I guess a "leading on from that" question would be; Does Project Server  not do the Work Variance calculation itself?  Strange that I had the correct actuals and baseline, but no variance and it took a Publish from Project Pro for this to show up in PWA!!

Once again, many thanks,

Lee

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Hi Lee, in truth I have never tested it, but I would expect it to do so.  

I also know Microsoft are aiming for parity between the scheduling engine on the server and the one on the client.  Note in PS2010 it is not possible to take a baseline in PWA (it is in 2013).

Remember that when you look at data in PWA you are viewing the published DB, until you edit it when you are looking at the drafts DB.  In Project you are looking at the drafts DB by default, so a good troubleshooting tip is to clear the cache when you see these sorts of issues.

If you are not on the latest SP, I would make sure that is installed for both server and ALL clients.

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:40 AM
  • The Variance values - and other fields as well - are not recalculated when the project is republished through the accept My Tasks update process. If you look at the list of fields in the View maintenance dialog in PWA, several of them have an asterisk against them. The footnote to the list says:
    Current Item: * Work Variance

* This field is only calculated by Project Professional. If the project is edited on Project Server, the values may not be updated until the project is re-opened from Project Professional.

Graham

Friday, October 5, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Thanks for that useful bit of info, Graham.

Strangely "Work variance" doesn't seem to have an asterix in my deployment.

Friday, October 5, 2012 2:37 PM