none
How to remove/delete offline tape libraries and standalone drives in DPM2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen this question asked several times but have never seen an acceptable answer.

When running Get-DPMLibrary I see a number of offline libraries and standalone drives. These were removed months ago and there are no associated protection groups nor tapes.

How can I remove/delete these now no longer used libraries and drives?

Even if I try and disable these I get the following error....

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Disable-TapeDrive -TapeDrive "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 drive (HU1140JVR5)"
    Disable-TapeDrive : Cannot bind parameter 'TapeDrive'. Cannot convert the "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 driddve (HU1140JVR5)" value
    of type "System.String" to type "Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.LibraryManagement.Drive".
    At line:1 char:29
    + Disable-TapeDrive -TapeDrive <<<< "Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-5 drive (HU1140JVR5)"
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Disable-TapeDrive], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.DisableDrive

Any ideas welcome.

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no supported method of removing these obsolete devices from DPM configuration. They will not cause any harm, and if you get confused by the duplicate names when using powershell scripts, just rename the Online library in the DPM GUI and that should be reflected in the powershell output.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no supported method of removing these obsolete devices from DPM configuration. They will not cause any harm, and if you get confused by the duplicate names when using powershell scripts, just rename the Online library in the DPM GUI and that should be reflected in the powershell output.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Are there any 'unsupported' methods to either delete or disable these off-line libraries and drives?  It's just that PSH seems to fail when querying these.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Yes, I would also like to remove them from my list.  It seems pointless and a flaw in the software design to not be able to remove them.  If your tape drive dies and you get a new one you 'just have to deal with it' seems like a horrible response and a big old ball of mud in the face to the programmers. >:|

I had a previously protected server get rebuilt with a non-windows OS and the agent was still listed as being protected but unresponsive.  I clicked the server neame and hit the 'Uninstall agent' option.  The Uninstall failed but then it asked if I would like to 'Remove the server from the database' to which I said yes and poof the server was gone.  Why can we do the same with a tape drive that is no longer present?

Jeh

• Edited by Jeh1138 Friday, June 1, 2012 4:04 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Please add your suggestion / comments to this thread.

How can Tape management be improved?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/21491981-53e7-4538-817c-891a82836045

Friday, June 1, 2012 10:49 PM