Can I run a program that's on one computer on another? RRS feed

• Question

• The title may be awkardly worded, but let me elaborate and we'll see if it gets any clearer. My partner and I have two computers, one each. Her's only has a small amount of RAM, not enough to run any anti virus software with, mine is quite capeable of running it. Hers keeps picking up nasties. If I connect the two computers via a networking cable, will I be able to access her hard drive from my computer and if I can does that mean I could clean up her drive with the anti virus that runs quite happily on mine?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:04 PM

All replies

• If you hook them both up to a hub or switch, then map a drive persistently, you could then configure your AV to scan the mapped drive (entirely dependent on the AV vendor though for available options of course). Note that this does not protect from any viruses loaded into memory, so this is not a fully secure solution.
    Brandon Wilson - Premier Field Engineer (Platforms)
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:02 AM
  • If they are on the same network, you can perfectly say to "clean up her drive" with you're antivirus.. But when she will work home, or if she don't have internet anymore then she will be without Antivirus..

So the best solution is to extend the memory for using Antivirus..

Try this, Avast www.avast.com (FREE)

Try this, Norton http://fr.norton.com/downloads/trialsoftware/download.jsp?pvid=nav2011 (PAY)

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer". - Gokan Ozcifci - SharePoint Infrastructure Consultant
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:58 AM