Windows Server 2012 Essentials Network Adaptor problems RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased an Acer Aspire T3-605  i7 4770 computer and wiped clean the hard drives.   The computer came preinstalled with Windows 8.   Then installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  Everything works except that it will not recognize any Network adaptors that I install.  Will see the onboard LAN in the device manager, but no drivers will work.  Then I installed a Trendnet gigabit pci express adaptor card, which will not show up in the device manager.  Then I installed a USB ethernet adaptor and windows will not recognize it.  That's 3 completely different Network adaptors that windows server 2012 will not recognize.  I'm already in this project thousands of dollars and can't get anywhere with it.  Please help.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:57 PM

Answers

• Yes the PC was brand new and would boot up Windows 8 no problems at all.  Since I could not find any help or resources that Windows Server 2012 WILL support in a timely manner (Customer was waiting!), I have trashed the computer motherboard and installed an ASUS one.  Started right up with no problems and server is already online.  

I have to commend Microsoft and Acer for thier OEM support (non existent)!

C

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, August 19, 2013 12:38 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 10:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The scenario is too strange. Would you please let me know if everything was ok when you purchased the PC? If the network adaptor could be recognized in the preinstalled Windows 8? Maybe we should check if the motherboard could work correctly.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:58 AM
  • Yes the PC was brand new and would boot up Windows 8 no problems at all.  Since I could not find any help or resources that Windows Server 2012 WILL support in a timely manner (Customer was waiting!), I have trashed the computer motherboard and installed an ASUS one.  Started right up with no problems and server is already online.  

I have to commend Microsoft and Acer for thier OEM support (non existent)!

C

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, August 19, 2013 12:38 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 10:57 PM
  • I'm glad you got it working, but sorry to hear that it took such an expensive solution!  For what it's worth, I've had trouble in the past with Acer network adapters and compatibility with Windows 8, but that was always in machines that came with Win 7.  You'd think a machine that shipped with Win 8 wouldn't have a problem with adapter compatibility!  

Good call going with an ASUS motherboard, too :)  My faith in ASUS only grows over time. My next PC will definitely have a lot of their components in it.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 9:09 PM