Outlook 2010 RTM - Hide Message Headers RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I pulled down Office 2010 RTM from TechNet last night, uninstalled the beta version, installed RTM.  One thing that I'm noticing with Outlook is that, unlike the beta, I'm unable to hide message headers within the preview pane.  If I go to the view tab on the ribbon, then click View Settings | Other Settings ... then put a check in the "Hide header information" box, click OK | OK ... the change doesn't stick, headers are still visible.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Any known workaround?

Regards.

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:38 PM

All replies

• Good Day,

I pulled down Office 2010 RTM from TechNet last night, uninstalled the beta version, installed RTM.  One thing that I'm noticing with Outlook is that, unlike the beta, I'm unable to hide message headers within the preview pane.  If I go to the view tab on the ribbon, then click View Settings | Other Settings ... then put a check in the "Hide header information" box, click OK | OK ... the change doesn't stick, headers are still visible.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Any known workaround?

Regards.

Hi DevodedDad

I have an identical issue, which is pretty annoying on my netbook, as you have about an inch of preview and the rest is taken up by the header. I followed exactly the same process as you, ticked the box, OK, OK and the change doesn't stick. Have you found a work around for this yet?

Many Thanks

Monday, May 3, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Hi There,

Unfortunately I have not found a work-around/solution for this issue.  I did confirm, however, that the issue is *not* present within the RC version of Outlook 2010, as I still have that version installed on my laptop.  This is a very frustrating issue.

Thanks,

DevotedDad

• Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:48 AM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Hello DevoteDad,

I apologize that you ran into this issue.  For Office 2010 the feature to Hide Message Headers was removed from Outlook.  However, the user interface to configure it is still in the product.  We are tracking that change to remove it for a later update and will publish KB documentation in the meantime.

Unfortunately there is not a workaround to achieve the same results as before.  I'll ensure this feedback is communicated for reconsideration in future updates and releases.

Thanks

gabe

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Just wanted to express my disappointment with recent Microsoft product releases (Expression, Visual Studio, Office 2007 & 2010) that seem to indicate an increasing belief that removing features improves a product.

I think that is only true for a small subset of the user base, and as more features are removed, the product is useful to fewer and fewer people.

Give me more options, better designed and integrated, not taken away.

Network and Systems Manager
    • Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:48 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hello Gabriel,

I do appreciate the reply, however I must say that removal of the feature which allows a user to hide message header information within the reading pane is nothing short of stupid.  I (and my clients) run Outlook 2010 on a variety of boxes, including a couple of netbooks - in situations with limited screen real estate, such as on netbooks and/or smaller laptops, hiding the header information enhances/improves the overall reading pane view.

Please, please communicate to the Outlook 2010 that this feature needs to be added back in - it's been in Outlook as long as I've been using it, and it was in the 2010 RC ... removing it is just a bad idea.

Regards,

DevotedDad

Friday, May 28, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Completely agree.

On my Alineware 11" notebook the message headers massive font size, poor use of horizontal space, and inability to be removed is absolutely a horrible design flaw.

Obviously in the preview pane I can see who it is from, the subject, the date, etc. in the message list. I don’t need two inches of real estate taking up my screen.

Sean Mackenzie

Director, Global Infrastructure

Rockstar Games

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

• Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:49 AM
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Why on earth would this feature be removed? What possible improvement in the product is there by preventing users from reducing the size of the header, and giving more room to the message itself?

In fact on my fairly large screen, the header takes up roughly half as much space as the message itself, and the most insulting thing is that less than 1/4 of the header itself contains text! The rest is completely wasted space!

Please stop doing this MS.

Friday, June 11, 2010 8:59 PM
  • I completely, wholeheartedly agree with everyone else on this -

the removal of the 'hide email headers' feature is nothing short of ridiculous.  I'm not even using a netbook, I'm on a laptop with a 17" screen and a decent resolution, and it's STILL taking up a huge amount of screen real estate.

It's frustrating, annoying and incomprehensibly backward to remove such a useful feature!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Definately not a good move to remove the Hide header option.  It takes up unecessary space. Hope we can get an urgent early fix on this.
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:41 AM
  • I have a 24" display, and like others posting here I also find it ANNOYING that this feature was changed from the beta version. I don't want a whole inch of space taken by something I don't want to see, and besides--I was used to viewing it without this info in the beta version for many months, so why oh why was the ability removed in the retail version (and by frustratingly leaving the checkbox in place, but without the functionality) ??? PLEASE, PLEASE bring back this functionality!!!
    • Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:47 AM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:24 AM
  • I have just installed Outlook 2010 and the first thing i did was try and remove the header information. I just wasted 2 hours of my time on this. Very frustrating
    Friday, July 9, 2010 11:44 AM
  • This is so annoying hopefully they fix it soon with an update or something. I just bought outlook 2010 and was looking to removing the header from the email. And i found the button for it but it wont work. Why even have an option to remove the header in the settings if it wont even work. Thats crazy. Its like they decided to not even finish the product before they released it.
    • Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:50 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Crazy!  I have been testing Outlook 2010 and pulling my hair out trying to remove that Stupid header information.  Glad I found this Post.
    MS: Please fix this as this single stuff up has cost you sales.  I will not be installing not recommending client upgrade due to this.  Most clients use Notebooks and I couldn't possibly recommend using Outlook 2010.   I HATE it (as I have to scroll down to see content of message, the header needs removing as it serves no purpose. This info (sender, Subject, Time etc is already contained in the message in the main Window)   I CANNOT believe a Beta tester didn't point this out.  I consider this a MAJOR problem and not one that can be ignored

Once fixed please let us know and I will happily revisit 2010 again but for no it is a big "Don't Touch" for me and clients.  Sorry.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:41 AM
  • I agree the header just uses up useful reading space, please enable the option to hide it.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I agree that loss of horizontal space for the header is "a crime."

I just bought the product (October 2010) and I notice that this message chain ended last July. So ... I remain hopeful that Microsoft fixed it since last summer.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:03 AM
  • I've just 'upgraded' to 2010 and agree with all of the above!  Please, please provide the option to hide the header.

Does anyone from MS read this???????

• Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:09 PM
  • What is wrong with these guys? Is it in the Redmond water? You know, that is exactly what was wrong with Office 2007, there were simply TOO MANY features.  I was simply annoyed by the ability to modify my settings.  I said to myself, "gee, I wish they would make it more difficult. Maybe take away a feature or two." - MS should know that sometimes, especially on little teeny weenie netbooks, we want space and not all their garbage. You know, I bet their offices are outfitted with 36" dual monitor setups, isn't it?  I wish I could sneak in there after hours, steal their monitors and replace them with a single 7" CRT. Then I would get my features back.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Removing this feature certainly takes the reward for stupidity, where is the inteligence? Do the folks at Microsoft use Outlook?

Have you also considered removing the send button, and what about remving the   GUI altogether?  This would probably make sense to those that think removing the hide headers option.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:39 AM
  • I've tried - really, I have - to understand what possible motivation there could be for not only hiding but completely removing the option.

All I can come up with is, as Borat would put it: retardations.

Outlook 2007 won me back from using Thunderbird for the first time in many years. Outlook 2010 just lost me again. It more so discourages me from getting too attached to Microsoft tech in general when decisions like this are made.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:56 PM
  • This drives me crazy every single day.  I hope to god they fix it soon.
    • Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Still no news???
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Let's see....We can change the font of the Outlook column headings and the rows (I wonder how many have ever changed those??), and we can change the font of this forum (so far it looks like 0 out of 23 used this "needed" feature) - but we can't open up more real estate on the Preview pane so we can see more of what we need to see - THE @#$%^ MESSAGE???

I suggest you take some type of 2003 & 2007 user survey and see how many users have (or would have liked to) used this feature.  I'm getting old and wearing bi-focal contacts, but for me everything ELSE in the "Other Settings" pane could have been removed - except "Hide Header Information"!!!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Looking for update to solve this issue ...
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:08 AM
  • I use Outlook to view messages, not to look at a screen full of icons and wasted space.  It seems that we are now heading towards the software being more dominant than the function.

Please get this sorted MS.  I'd like to remove the header, and also be able to completely remove all the other features too - like the 1cm footer that remains, even when minimised and the 1cm column for the calendar even when minimised. 

The 'search inbox' feature, something I rarely use, takes up another full cm of reading space.  Why isn't it a drop down from a menu?

Even the spacing bars, icon trays lose so much space these days and stop you from looking at the message.

My lovely widescreen laptop behaves more like a netbook when using outlook 2010.  I think I need to look at another mail program.

Please MS, get back to maximising the space for the message if you want to keep your customers.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 11:28 AM
  • If  "Hide header information" has been disabled, in Outlook 201 why is there a checkbox for that "non-option"? Also the Spelling and Auto Correct does not work in Plain Text format. I would like my £99.99 back please !

Michael

Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hi gabe,

I hope that when you say, “We are tracking that change to remove it for a later update...” you’re saying that what will be removed is the lack of a hide header feature and not the removal of the hide header interface. It’s just a bad an ill conceive feature to remove in the first place.

After spending several days of trying to find a solution or workaround I deleted my Outlook 2010 and purchased OL2007 just for this feature. Unfortunately OL2006 caused problems with Office 2010 so I returned for a refund and repurchased OL2010. This resulted in a week of trouble shooting, a waste of my time as well as the time of techsupport personnel at Dell and the retail store where I purchased the Dell, and the Microsoft Office online store. The whole process also used up 600 of my cell phone rover minutes.

I’m not disclosing the above for sympathy but just to let Microsoft know what the consequences are to a bad idea to drop the hide header feature. It should be optional as it always has.

Regards,

Panos333

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:49 AM
  • Here it is March 2011 and the issue still hasn't been solved.  My recently downloaded copy still has the option to Hide Headers, and I've spent the last week trying to get it to work.  WHY did Microsoft find it necessary to delete a valuable space saving function.  Slowly but surely we are getting to the View it MY way or NO way.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Any chance at all that this will ever be addressed or even reviewed by anyone at MS?  Like most other people on this forum, I've spent the last 6 hours trying to figure out how to hide the message headers.  Using a Dell Duo and the the Header is so large that it leaves ~3mm for the actual email.  Meanwhile, the Header is 1.5".....90% is wasted background and the font is triple that of my email messages.

I'm only on day 2 of my 60 day trial.  I'm afraid I don't have the patience that so many of the participants of this forum have had.  Gabriel's response is almost 10 months old.  WOW....that's a spectacular example of MS showing they really don't plan to do anything about it.

Don't think I'll be entering my credit card number at the end of the month to buy the full program.

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Dear Microsoft,

The ability to hide message header while viewing an email in the preview pane would be a great feature to have.  All of my users on the network would love this.  Please add this feature in the next Outlook 2010 patch.

Thank you very much!

TheOriginalOrman

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:12 PM
  • I agree with everyone here. They need to make a way to reduce the header size. At least make it go across in one line instead of each thing having it's own row. Also the subject is WAY too big!
    Friday, April 1, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Are you KIDDING??!!

Microsoft needs to see a shrink

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Another major complaint is the folder list.

It does not auto scroll on expansion, and the scroll whell does not work.
    (The scroll wheel should work because focus should be in the folder list because the user has just clicked on expand!!)

What was the use of yet another version of Outlook???

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Hello everyone,

The feature is available.  Just go to:

View (tab)

View Settings

Columns

remove 'Header status' from the column

Let  me know if it works for you.

Gustavo

Montevideo, URUGUAY

"el que no se aventura, no pasa la mar"

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Erm, have you read this thread?
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:12 PM
  • Erm, have you read this thread?
    obviously not.....Anyone figure something out yet?
    • Proposed as answer by JAHO1111 Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JAHO1111 Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:30 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Its driving crazy!! please please bring the tool back!!!
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:30 AM
  • Hey Gabe (Microsoft employee from reply on May 14, 2010) where have you gone???? 

And hello fellow frustrated Outlook users - notice we haven't heard BOO from MS since over a year ago?  Are they really working on the update or just busy counting their money from all the 2010's they've been selling this past year? 

Friday, May 27, 2011 12:27 PM
  • I did it but no positive result . I am still not able to remove the option.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 5:25 PM
  • It is retarded that this has not been fixed, and by fixed I mean putting the feature back in. Whoever decided the ribbon was a good idea must've been behind this. Everyone at MS must be using something decent for their e-mail like Thunderbird.

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Just wanted to add my name to the list of those incredulous that Microsoft has still not addressed this crying need, a year since it was first identified.  Inexcusable.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:49 PM
  • On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:49:06 +0000, locutor99 wrote:

Just wanted to add my name to the list of those incredulous that Microsoft has still not addressed this crying need, a year since it was first identified.  Inexcusable.

I'm not incredulous and not sure it's inexcusable (if you don't like
    the way any piece of software works, get a different one instead), but
    I certainly agree that it was a poor choice and it should be changed.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Just anxiously downloaded SP 1 for Office 2010 with the hope that I would finally be able to hide the stupid header in Outlook and this issue is still not fixed.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Yes I would have thought the SP 1 for Office 2010 would have fixed the "hide header information" too. Pity MS never found the time, in over 12 months of knowing about this feature not working, and how many users want it fixed, that they did not fix it in SP 1 !

What is the point of having a check box for "Hide header information", if it does not work ? At least remove it, or grey it out.

The "ghosts" of deleted emails left behind has now been resolved however !

I cannot believe Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP told Office 2010 users this:-

"If you don't like the way any piece of software works, get a different one instead".

I wonder if Bill Gates is aware of how "his staff" treats their paying customers ?

Michael

Monday, July 4, 2011 6:58 PM
  • There is more space used by irrelivant garbage on the reading pane than for the actual message display. This really needs to be fixed.
    Gary Herbstman Byte Solutions, Inc. http://bytesolutions.com
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Seriously...at my office, we are swearing daily because of the lack of this feature.  It seemed like a small issue at first, but suddenly, we can't be as efficient in getting through our emails anymore.  Instead of just being able to quickly view it in the preview/reading pane, now we actually have to either expand the reading pane view or open the email itself.

"Yeah, why not just expand the view?"

Because every click and expanding/retracting the pane takes time, and if you have a couple of hundred emails to gor through every day, then that is a lot of time extra that I can use of something else.  I calculate I lose a pure 30 minutes from my daily email sift.  My assistant, who checks most of my mail, probably has the same amount of time loss or more.

Friday, July 29, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Turn on Retention Policy and the reading pane now take up an additional 3 lines for retention details, doubling the space the headers use. This is really insane.

Gary Herbstman Byte Solutions, Inc. http://bytesolutions.com
    Friday, July 29, 2011 1:47 PM
  • BUMP :)

Seriously... in the age of WIDE screens, microsoft has chosen to eat up VERTICAL real estate??!!

??!!

!!

??

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:46 AM
  • WTF? So I've just wasted half an hour trying to hide message headers. Unbelieveable that this has been unresolved for so long. Please fix this....and stamp on the toes of the developers and beta testers who let this pass as releasable!

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:29 AM
  • The direct words of Microsoft:

"The Hide header information setting in earlier versions of Outlook lets you remove the email message header when you view the message in the Reading pane. This is useful when you use Outlook on devices that have limited screen space."

But then:

"..the "Hide header information" functionality was removed from Outlook 2010."

WHY?? So I am forced to upgrade to the next stupid version?

MS themselves admit it was a "useful [feature on] devices that have limited screen space"

SO DONT REMOVE IT!!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Just to make the problem worse, now I can't even re-size the email view pane.

Not in any folder.

:(

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:18 AM
  • R I D I C U L O U S
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:30 PM
  • What is the reason for removing the "hide headers" feature in Outlook 2010?

Could somebody from Microsoft please show the courtesy to respond back and explain this to us? Please?

Because the reasoning for this is not obvious at all, and as far as I can tell, no attempt has been made to explain why this was originally done, or why it has not been fixed yet (fixed = restoring the ability to hide the headers, not removing the hide headers check box that currently is not working).

Please respond.

Thank you.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:30 PM
  • What is the reason for removing the "hide headers" feature in Outlook 2010?

Could somebody from Microsoft please show the courtesy to respond back and explain this to us? Please?

Because the reasoning for this is not obvious at all, and as far as I can tell, no attempt has been made to explain why this was originally done, or why it has not been fixed yet (fixed = restoring the ability to hide the headers, not removing the hide headers check box that currently is not working).

Please respond.

Thank you.

Is there anyone from Microsoft who will please respond to my post above?

Thanks.

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Wow.  A year later and no repair of an excellent feature.  Warning MS:  Listen to you customers or someone else will.  Do they even know we're out here or is this just a way to keep us from bothering them at MS.  Sad.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:46 PM
  • I guess all we can expect from the people at Microsoft is a big F.U.

They are big and they have lots of money and they are the biggest kid on the software block.

Surely they understand that this sort of unresponsive attitude is a big part of the reason why so many people are passionately anti-Microsoft to the very core of their being. I am not one of those people, but this really is pissing me off.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:27 PM
  • I am an IT director and we recently began our upgrade process to Office 2010. By far the majority of complaints I receive is that the headers now take up much more space than they have in previous versions and users are no longer able to disable those headers. Many of our users are mobile and therefore screen space is already limited on their laptops.

This issue reflects poorly on Microsoft and makes me seriously reconsider why we decided to "upgrade" in the first place. These upgrades cost companies, including us, hundreds of thousands of dollars; we certainly do not expect our functionality to be "downgraded" as a result of "enhanced" software implementations.

Please add us to the list of dissatisfied MS customers. (*1000+)

Friday, November 4, 2011 2:16 PM
  • "We are tracking that change to remove it for a later update and will publish KB "

Wheres this KB??

The stupid email header takes up fully one fith of my screen height!!

Monday, November 14, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Ken Blake wrote:
    "get a different one instead"

Ken, what software do you suggest we use, buddy??

Monday, November 14, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Wake up Microsoft....   This is an issue you need to address... How hard would it be to provide a checkbox in the view settings or a right click option so we can minimize headers... 
    lance Wulfers
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:53 PM
  • So Microsoft is choosing to ignore all the user feedback all along since the release of this product?  It's into Nov already and no news... no feedback... no follow-up...
    Monday, November 21, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Actually I am going to re-install outlook 2007 until they get this right.  What a pain. 
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:10 PM
  • I have been monitoring this thread and it is dumb that this was removed. If i had alternative i would take it, as this really drives me crazy....

I assume this is part of the reason... Microsoft knows we really dont have a choice........

Friday, December 23, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Just thought that I would chime in, as I just "upgraded" to Windows 7 / Office 2010 yesterday.  Of all the things that I seriously dislike so far about both, this is my top beef.  2 hours spent trying to figure out how to get this ANNOYING, STUPID WASTE OF SCREEN SPACE OUT OF MY WAY.  I figured that there absolutely had to be a way (there's a checkbox to disable it for cryin' out loud), and that I must have lost my touch and become a sloth over the years.  But alas, it can't be done?  And it's BEEN THIS WAY FOR A YEAR AND A HALF??  This is the height of stupidity at MS.  For me, Outlook 2010 has been rendered useless by this oversight.  I spend 10 hours a day at least working on this box using Outlook, and 90% of the time the information I want is not visible in the preview pain now.

So, let's see:  MS software engineer - "I've got an idea, lets repeat every bit of information that is already displayed in the message line, but lets spread it out vertically taking up several inches of screen real-estate so that nobody can see the actual message without clicking, scrolling, etc."  OH WAIT - lets not forget to put a checkbox to disable it, but lets disable the feature and not tell anyone - that way MILLIONS of people will struggle with this for hours!!

I am normally not this sort of poster, but in this case:  WAKE UP MORONS.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Friday, December 30, 2011 10:54 PM
  • This is the year 2012, April 12.  I think Microsoft is dead.  Stop trying people.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:32 AM
  • I'm glad I found this thread.  I only wish I would have found it sooner.  My old laptop crashed and forced me to buy a new one with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 Professional. I am a former xp and Outlook 2003 user.  I'm so frustrated by the inability of changing the font on the reading pane that I am actually going to get my old pc repaired take a saved version of my .pst file (it's only a couple of days old, and i can recreate the 200 additional ones that came this week), and going back to outlook 2003. Now, how's that for a product endorsement.

Like some of the other posters on this thread I have wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to figure that out.  As a small business owner I don't have an IT department. 

Very very frustrating, and now what a waste of time to go back to 2003.

• Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:54 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 2:26 PM
  • YES, please bring it back !!!!!

Sunday, July 22, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Gabe, or whoever is in charge over at Microsoft now, after 2 years of customer complaints, the consensus is obvious. Give us back the option to reduce/remove headers from our email reading pane. I feel relieved that I'm not the only one who finds this to be a change for the worse. I'm a professional editor using my company laptop and I literally have to choose between making sense of my list of emails vs being able to read the tiny portion of the email itself, because there's a big fat header in gigantic type and way too much white space all around it, right in the middle of my layout.

On the whole, all Microsoft Office products now waste way too much space with the top heavy tool bars. Go back to the smaller, more efficient design. Or give your PC version the same clarity and ease of use that is available on the Mac. It's far more user-friendly and readable on a MacBook.

• Proposed as answer by RobinMasters Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:45 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:24 PM
  • I just upgrade my wife outlook from 2007 to 2010. The first question from my wife is How to hide the header info. Her default reading pane is bottom mode. So the size of header effect the reading area. Microsoft, please image the email that contain a lot of member with very long display name like in some country. You waste our time and force us to unsatisfying with your newer version. If I know this before I will not buy the upgrade version.

I aspect WoW from my wife but I got the opposite things. ios iphone still have the function to hide or show the header. how about you Microsoft the great?

If I not seen this topic I will not believe that the 2010 version lack of this function. The one that user really needs. and 2 year later no any upgrade.

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:37 PM
  • And here we are at the end of October and still no sign of a fix, pathetic is too mild, if there was only an alternative!
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:31 PM
  • And now November 2012 and still no fix, or even answer from Microsoft. Please bring the feature back.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:32 AM
  • No chance of getting this back.  Outlook 2013 is even less customizable and following the trend has an even larger header (that you still can't remove.)  Microsoft should do some real user testing.
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:23 AM
  • Outlook 2013 is the same
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Hi Gabriel, I apologize that you work for this company, as it has lost countless users simply because they seem to want to follow trends and force users to utilize their applications with little or no customization.  First it was changing the ui of explorer in win7, then removing it completely in win8, now it's this...

Please stop taking features away that MANY people obviously want in their email client.  I will be switching to Thunderbird until you get this sorted out (at least give us an option to shrink the headers view down to a manageable size) but nope, you're probably still going to keep trying what doesn't work until Linux overpowers you into submission.

Also, if you could please inform us as to why MSFT decided it was in customers best interest to remove this option, as I have read many threads and blogs about this specific issue, and it seems that no one agrees with MSFT concerning this.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:44 AM
  • I have no hope that my post will make one iota of difference, no faith that big corporations pay attention.  Still, since Gabe was good enough to show engagement, I say this:

It is now January 2013.  When is this feature going to be available? I can't stand how much screen real estate the message header eats up.

Thank you.

<object height="0" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="0"><param name="tabId" value="ff-tab-3" /><param name="counter" value="89" /></object>
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Sept 2013 is when I first started using Outlook (after having used email for ~17yrs+).  During the first week, as I was configuring Outlook as per my preferences, I felt that the headers section in the reading pane was taking up too much space.  I could_not figure out how to hide that section; so I searched online.  I saw this thread (maybe there are some other threads too).  I was in disbelief that MS could make such mistakes, and then let those mistakes be for long periods.

It is now Feb 2014.  Just checked back to see if there was a solution.  Looks like there still isn't.  Very very disappointing.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:34 AM