How can my company, add to the web site, to open a particular program, wherever it is installed? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a website, we want to open Adobe when people click on a .pdf, but we will not know where they have it installed or what version they use. How can we deal with that? Currently, we point to a certain path to the .exe, but that works poorly.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 2:04 PM

All replies

• You can't.. 

PDF is a formatted file, and is not bound to Adobe Reader, it is a file format, just like .doc, which can be opened in about 20 different applications, outside of MS Word. For instance, right now i don't have Adobe Reader on my machine, i use Foxit Pro, though there is also in windows 10 the build in reader in Edge, and on Chromebooks there is Google docs.. All of which use the same file extension, and open in different applications.. 

You can however use Group policy to force your network to open a specific program when they click on a file type, or you can use Quest KACE 3rd party software to do the same thing.. 

Rob

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:41 PM
  • Check in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations to see if .PDF is associated with Adobe Reader.  It should have been set the installer when you installed Adobe Reader.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:20 PM
  • Try this MSDN link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/webadministration/?view=win10-ps

Use to be MSDN/library/Web applications-Samples were easy to access..

Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, you want to people who access your website open PDF file with Adobe.

Please view the part Browser and browser-settings solutions in following link.

Troubleshoot viewing PDF files on the web:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-view-pdf-web.html

Here is a link for your reference. It mentioned “Many recent browser versions include their own, native PDF plug-ins that automatically replace the Acrobat and Reader plug-in from Adobe.”

Configure browser to use the Adobe PDF plug-in to open online PDF files:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/pdf-browser-plugin-configuration.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

And I think the problem is more related to website development. The methods in above links need people who access your website to set the settings.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Vera Hu Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by themanindbox Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:53 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Hi, 

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:33 AM