Is it possible to change the name of an Unsealed Management Pack RRS feed

• Question

• I've come across a few cases where I need to change the name of an unsealed management pack. So, I go into the properties of the unsealed MP and change the name, but the ID: is grayed out, not allowing me to match the ID: with the new Name.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this when I need to change the Name of an unsealed MP?

Thanks
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• Not easy to do, and not from the console.   Assuming you don't mean the display name.

If you made the MP outside of the console (e.g. with authoring console or manual editing of XML from scratch), then follow these steps:

1.  After making sure you have a saved copy of the source somewhere, delete the MP from the system.
    2.  Edit the XML manually ( you can't change name from AC after it exists either )
    3.  Replace all references to the name you want to change with the new name.
    4.  Alter the display name for the MP in the string sections near the end of the file.
    5.  Save to a new file name that matches the new MP ID (this is the MP name)
    6.  Run MP verify to make sure new MP is not corrupt.

Import the new MP.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Marius Sutara Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:37 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:19 PM

All replies

• I think you could export it, delete it in the console, modify the expored version and then import it again. Dont think there is a way to do it in the console.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Hi

You can't do it in the console and you need to be careful about exporting and changing it "outside" of OpsMgr. The ID is referenced in the management pack itself so you'll need to do a find and replace of all the values. Plus, you'll need to change the version and filename when you try to reimport (at least if you make the change in notepad) which means you end up with a new management pack (though you could always then delete the original). 

If you have a test environment then I'd give it all a go there just to make sure there aren't any unforeseen problems along the way.

Just had a quick look via the Authoring Console and you can't change the ID there either ... there is probably a good reason!

Cheers

Graham
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Not easy to do, and not from the console.   Assuming you don't mean the display name.

If you made the MP outside of the console (e.g. with authoring console or manual editing of XML from scratch), then follow these steps:

1.  After making sure you have a saved copy of the source somewhere, delete the MP from the system.
    2.  Edit the XML manually ( you can't change name from AC after it exists either )
    3.  Replace all references to the name you want to change with the new name.
    4.  Alter the display name for the MP in the string sections near the end of the file.
    5.  Save to a new file name that matches the new MP ID (this is the MP name)
    6.  Run MP verify to make sure new MP is not corrupt.

Import the new MP.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by Marius Sutara Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:37 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:19 PM