Windows 8 crashed wont recover and hard drive is missing ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows 8 on my laptop and it crashed and cycles thru the automatic recover and either fails or goes straight to bios screen . If/when I can get to the cmd prompt page thru the advanced tools page I try to manually find the hdd with the os and fix the boot errors but all I get is the cdrom drive and this X:\windows\system32> nothing will pull up . If I boot the hard drive second and run my windows 7 hdd I can look at all the files and partitions of the drive with windows 8 on it any ideas how to unhide the partitions ?
    Friday, May 10, 2013 4:29 AM

Answers

• I suspect that the hard drive is damaged. You'd better contact the laptop manufacturer for further assistances.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:16 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 6:40 AM

All replies

• If/when I can get to the cmd prompt page thru the advanced tools page I try to manually find the hdd with the os and fix the boot errors but all I get is the cdrom drive and this X:\windows\system32> nothing will pull up .

Try using diskpart then?
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:47 PM
  • I suspect that the hard drive is damaged. You'd better contact the laptop manufacturer for further assistances.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:16 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 6:40 AM
  •  If I boot the hard drive second and run my windows 7 hdd I can look at all the files and partitions of the drive with windows 8 on it any ideas how to unhide the partitions ?

You may be able to repair your harddrive with supplied MS tools. If you can go to "My Computer", then Click on the partition, then Properties, then the Tools tab. The tools there are there to help you with harddisk problems.

If you only have a command prompt, then try running chkdsk C: - or whatever partition it is.  Note, you need the /f option to actually fix stuff on the harddisk.... so something similar to:

Chkdsk C: /f

should work.

used: Dos, MSDos, Win3, Win95, WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8 || AIX/Linux, etc: HP AIX, IBM AIX, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Puppy Linux, OS/2, VM/CMS, SAP

Monday, May 20, 2013 5:19 AM