How to put CSV volume in redirection mode in WS2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading this article on Cluster Shared Volume 2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612868.aspx#BKMK_planning

It gives that there are 3 re-direction modes: File level (per file), File system level (per volume) and block level (file block level) 

Is there a way I can specify what redirection I want from powershell or Failover cluster UI ? Can user disable Direct IO ?

• Edited by Shawn Dan Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:59 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:59 PM

Answers

• If you right-click on the Physical Disk resource in Failover Cluster Manager you can put the CSV disk in redirected mode.  This will be File System redirected mode... per file and volume level are done automatically.  Such if you yank out the storage cable, you will be in block level.

Thanks!
    Elden

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:57 AM

All replies

• I have not heard nor seen any way.  Generally, the engineers handle that sort of stuff a lot better than the end user, so I'm curious as to why you would want to play with those settings.  And disabling direct IO - why?  That is the element that makes CSV so powerful.  Disabling it is a sure was to make everything start crawling.  You can cause a volume to go into redirected mode, but to disable direct IO is another thing I have not seen or heard of.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, February 15, 2013 12:06 PM
  • If you right-click on the Physical Disk resource in Failover Cluster Manager you can put the CSV disk in redirected mode.  This will be File System redirected mode... per file and volume level are done automatically.  Such if you yank out the storage cable, you will be in block level.

Thanks!
    Elden

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:57 AM