none
SBS 2011 standard -> premium on virtualbox? RRS feed

• Question

• G'day,

I'm doing a Swing Migration from SBS 2003 premium to 2011 premium in a virtual environment (SBs as a Virtualbox guest, the host is CentOS 6.2), and am at the stage where I have to install the premium "stuff", including the SQL server.  I have two DVD's that say they're for 2011, but they seem to be 2008?

is there a howto or any doco on how to "upgrade" the standard SBS 2011 to premium?

Thanks!

Carl

Friday, January 13, 2012 3:25 AM

Answers

• The Premium component is actually an "add-on"  You install a seperate, standalone Server 2008 r2 server, and install the SQL on to that.  You do not install anything extra on the SBS server. 

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-On

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-On provides small businesses with a flexible and cost-effective solution for deploying additional servers on a network running Windows SBS 2011. Windows SBS 2011 Premium Add-On provides a platform for running line-of-business (LOB) applications that are based on the SQL Server operating system, role-based server deployments (such as backup domain controllers), and virtual servers that run in a Hyper-V™ environment. Windows SBS 2011 Premium Add-On includes:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard: Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-On includes an additional license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, which allows you to deploy another server on your Windows SBS 2011 Standard network.

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition: SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard introduces a range of enhancements to help businesses derive more value from information, including greater capabilities in development, manageability, business intelligence, and data warehousing.

For more information about SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, see the SQL Server 2008 R2 website (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=207299).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg508696.aspx

Jeremy
    • Marked as answer by Bleve97 Friday, January 13, 2012 11:22 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:45 AM

All replies

• The Premium component is actually an "add-on"  You install a seperate, standalone Server 2008 r2 server, and install the SQL on to that.  You do not install anything extra on the SBS server. 

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-On

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-On provides small businesses with a flexible and cost-effective solution for deploying additional servers on a network running Windows SBS 2011. Windows SBS 2011 Premium Add-On provides a platform for running line-of-business (LOB) applications that are based on the SQL Server operating system, role-based server deployments (such as backup domain controllers), and virtual servers that run in a Hyper-V™ environment. Windows SBS 2011 Premium Add-On includes:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard: Windows Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-On includes an additional license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, which allows you to deploy another server on your Windows SBS 2011 Standard network.

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition: SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard introduces a range of enhancements to help businesses derive more value from information, including greater capabilities in development, manageability, business intelligence, and data warehousing.

For more information about SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, see the SQL Server 2008 R2 website (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=207299).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg508696.aspx

Jeremy
    • Marked as answer by Bleve97 Friday, January 13, 2012 11:22 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Hi Carl,

As said by Jeremy the Premium is an add-on so no upgrade from the SBS standard but a separate Windows and SQL server license to install on a second (physical or virtual) server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:02 AM

Ok, does that mean on separate hardware? Or a separate VM?

Ok, does that mean on separate hardware? Or a separate VM?  I guess it's not going to run on the same hardware (physical or virtual) by the doco?

Friday, January 13, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Hi Carl,

As said by Jeremy the Premium is an add-on so no upgrade from the SBS standard but a separate Windows and SQL server license to install on a second (physical or virtual) server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Ahha, ok .. It'll have to be a separate VM for the moment, unless we get performance issues.  Thank you :)

Friday, January 13, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Indeed a may be virtual servers, even so, if you have the Premium add-on you may install the Windows 2008 R2 Server on the physical box and also use the same license (1+1) to run it as second VM (beside the SBS standard)
    Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to know the issue got fixed. Thanks for your time and marking.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:19 AM