none
Can I make a second userkey.psw file, or make a working copy of one? RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7 Pro, I want to have a second copy of my userkey.psw Password Reset Disk file, with the same password: one to keep in the building, the other to take offsite.

If I generate a second userkey.psw file using the Win7 utility, will it override an earlier one, even if the password has not changed?

If I make a copy of the userkey.psw file using Windows Explorer and put it on a CD, will it work?

Any links to official documentation on this would be most appreciated.

• Edited by codesta Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:28 PM
    Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:26 PM

Answers

• In the end of that documentation, it mentions “You move the userkey.psw file to another USB flash drive, floppy, or other external drive for safe storage. You can use this same password reset disk file if you forget your password again, even though you have changed your password. It can also be on a different USB flash drive or a floppy the next time you use it. It is not tied to any hardware.”

So copy an existing userkey.psw onto another USB drive will also work properly.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by codesta Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It needs USB or floppy disk to create userkey.psw. So if you create a second userkey.psw file in same place, it will prompt if override an earlier one.

In documentation, create password reset disk requires a USB stick or a floppy disk.

Here is a reference:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1904.create-a-windows-7-password-reset-disk-and-use-it-to-reset-a-lost-password.aspx

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 21, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I appreciate the clarification on USB or floppy, and that if there is an existing key file in the same location, it will override that.

I'm using USB drives.

I'm still looking for the answer as to whether I can copy an existing userkey.psw onto another USB drive, and if that copy will still work properly.

Monday, August 21, 2017 6:48 PM
  • In the end of that documentation, it mentions “You move the userkey.psw file to another USB flash drive, floppy, or other external drive for safe storage. You can use this same password reset disk file if you forget your password again, even though you have changed your password. It can also be on a different USB flash drive or a floppy the next time you use it. It is not tied to any hardware.”

So copy an existing userkey.psw onto another USB drive will also work properly.

• Marked as answer by codesta Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:23 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the response and clarification (I should have read the whole article!)  Great to see the confirmation in writing.  Big help!
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:13 PM