How to get conversation history in Skype for business itself. RRS feed

• Question

• I don't care (could'nt give a ...) if my conversation are stored in exchange/outlook or not. 

But they MUST be visible in skype for business. If you start a conversation with someone, you must see previous chats. I don't want to look for a degraded chat history from yesterday, last week or last year in freaking outlook every time.

Regular skype is a gazillion times better than SFB. The adds in it are far more bareble than the degraded user experience in SFB (yes there are advantages in SVB but they're far less important than the history). If only I could login in normal skype with my company account... 

• Edited by Mini2 Monday, November 13, 2017 9:01 AM clarification
    Monday, November 13, 2017 8:47 AM

All replies

• I don't care (could'nt give a ...) if my conversation are stored in exchange/outlook or not. 

But they MUST be visible in skype for business. If you start a conversation with someone, you must see previous chats. I don't want to look for a degraded chat history from yesterday, last week or last year in freaking outlook every time.

Regular skype is a gazillion times better than SFB. The adds in it are far more bareble than the degraded user experience in SFB (yes there are advantages in SVB but they're far less important than the history). If only I could login in normal skype with my company account... 

They are visible when using Server-Side conversation history in your implementation.

http://lyncinsider.com/skype-for-business/skype4b-features-server-side-conversation-history/

Monday, November 13, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Hi Minin2,

Based on your description, I understand that you want to see the previous conversation when you open a IM window, is that right?

For SFB client, you could see the conversation history with the “conversation” tab in SFB client, if you open the IM window under the “conversation” tab, it will show you the previous conversation.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:30 AM
  • This may be a solution, I will check with the server team. For me multi device sync isn't really important, but its a nice to have.

Still a shame though that history is not accessible on the device.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:02 AM
  • This allows me to see with whom I talked and when (at least that all it does in my case). This is not important, I want to see what has been said. 

I also want to see everything, Exchange keeps only text and received images, not sent images. Normal skype keeps everything (as a chat application should). 

Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hello Mini2,

To achieve this you will be needing a archiving role deployed in Skype for Business (also an database is required) or else you will need exchange to store everything.

For more information about the archiving role:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951419.aspx

Server side conversation still stores items in Exchange see more info:

http://cloudexchangers.com/enableserverconversationhistory-skype-for-business/

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Friday, November 17, 2017 6:10 AM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:55 AM
  • This allows me to see with whom I talked and when (at least that all it does in my case). This is not important, I want to see what has been said. 

I also want to see everything, Exchange keeps only text and received images, not sent images. Normal skype keeps everything (as a chat application should). 

The full chat history is the available and tells you what has been said, in full.   I can pull  up a chat conversation on my mobile device that was conducted on my desktop.  You dont want the archiving server.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:35 PM
  • Hi Er-D,

I have seen the image which i have sent when gets downloaded by other user end, then show sent and after that its not visible and we have archived on in our On prem setup so please clarify.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 6:13 AM
  • Hi Minin2,

Based on your description, I understand that you want to see the previous conversation when you open a IM window, is that right?

For SFB client, you could see the conversation history with the “conversation” tab in SFB client, if you open the IM window under the “conversation” tab, it will show you the previous conversation.

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

after you open the conversation history under this option, you can see the previous conversation history.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Hi Minin2,

Regards,

Alice Wang

after you open the conversation history under this option, you can see the previous conversation history.

Regards,

Alice Wang

No it does not, it is empty.

Also note I'm not an administrator. Just a user in this case, I cannot change server settings. That being said, it should work out of the box (except for cross device sync), regardless of exchange or archive servers or whatever.

Untill this is fixed SFB is useless! (I will use email instead, we have conversation view there, I can sort/search for people,...)

Friday, November 24, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hi Mini2,

It depend on your organization what they are willing to implement, this can effect your experience with Skype for Business. The possibility's are given, we cant change your deployment :). Only as end user what you can do is raise a ticket or request a change to enable the option at your IT department.

Greetings,

Erdem 

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, November 27, 2017 1:40 AM
    Friday, November 24, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Hi WorkingOut,

Archiving role does not save transfered files see the reference below:

• What content should be archived. Whether you specify archiving at the global level or for specific sites and users, at each of these levels, you specify whether to enable the following types of content:

• Peer-to-peer instant messages

• Conferences (meetings), which are multiparty instant messages

• Conference content, including uploaded content (for example, handouts) and event-related content (for example, joining, leaving, uploading sharing, and changes in visibility)

• Whiteboards and polls shared during a conference

• What content cannot be archived. The following types of content cannot be archived:

• Peer-to-peer file transfers

• Audio/video for peer-to-peer instant messages and conferences

• Desktop and application sharing for peer-to-peer instant messages and conferences

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951419.aspx

Greetings,

Erdem

Monday, December 11, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

Check this tool https://grovety.com/products/historage

Or If it is possible start using to Microsoft Teams.

Regards,

Camilo D.

Camilo Diaz G.N.

Friday, September 14, 2018 5:22 PM
  • This is worthless. What we want is - when we click on a specific contact, we want to be able to see the history THERE, not browse through thousands of entries in conversation tab. The person we are concerned - maybe we had 10000 more chats after him. Do you want us to browse through all of those ??

Just repeat wht we had in Lync. You have bought Skype and killed it ... 

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:57 PM
  • Alice,

This is a really stupid solution and no better than the conversation history option in outlook.  It still busts up chat histories the same way and doesn't show a full log making it just as useless.  Have you ever used a functional instant messaging application before?  Hell, AOL Instant Messenger has this functionality in 2001!  This is an infuriating way to organize an IM client and I know why it is like this.  However, it shows a lack of will on the part of the development team to come up with a solution that would serve the business side of persistence with the user's ability to have a good experience.

Monday, March 4, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Again, Alice, no you cannot see a COMPLETE history.  If I talked to someone then restarted skype and talked to them again, this would be broken up into TWO entries that I cannot scroll through.  I have to open both of them.  This if fine when it is back to back like that.  But if I remember only that they mentioned something in December and I have 22 entries from December, this becomes cumbersome, tedious, and frustrating to search through.
    Monday, March 4, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

Another solution is to use Microsoft Teams, Everything is persistent chat and the conversation is saved within Teams. You will not have your conversations saved anymore in Outlook.

Greetings,

Erdem

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:42 AM